Is it a bad idea to get a sheep with mastitis?

WindyIndy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
You all make a very good point, thank you for your wonderful thoughts! :clap I'll pass :)
Bossroo, thank you for that explanation, I'll try comparing and see what I can see.
I definitely want fast growing. I have never seen any St Croix or Dorper around here for sale. I was hoping to have Dorper crosses someday. I know they're a hair breed, but then someone who has them said they don't shed out as well and he actually has to shear them a little. :hu Anyone else find that true?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have 4 Dorper/Katahdin ewes. They were bred to a Katahdin ram and now I have 5 lambs. I am keeping the 3 ewe lambs. I found a very nice Dorper ram, 5 months old. Since I am such a sheep newbie, I sure didn't want to pay big money for pure or registered Dorpers and kill them with ignorance and inexperience, so the crossbreds are just what suited me. Since I got them last fall, I don't know yet if they will shed out all their winter wool. I have used a curry comb (horse) on one of them to groom the wool wads off her and she loves it. Another one is starting to stand for a good grooming, but the other two won't.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hint : look at your photos and what do you see on the neck and chest. Look at the conformation- Not typical Katahdin ! Then compare to photos of Barbados.

Not a sheep person so I don't know what they may be crossed with but I do know Katahdins do have hairy chests on the rams... a "mane" if you will. But the ram seems small.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
I bought a ewe that had mastitis prior and only had 1 side of her working udder. She was huge and gave me 5 lambs in 2 years. I bottle fed two ewe lambs when she had triplets. But she raised the boys. Was a great mom but a nutcase. I never had to treat her just made sure lambs did ok. I resold her last year at 9. She was a blackbelly, painted desert. So it worked for me.

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
I was searching CL as I want to expand my flock since I'm raising meat for us and I want to sell. I haven't found too many good deals on CL so I figured I would just keep some of my ewes lambs (and probably will end up keeping a couple anyway), but then I found this add on CL this morning. I REALLY want the red or black ram as I have always pictured having a red one be my 'Anakin' and black one my 'Vadar". Yes, I'm a HUGE star wars fan, lol! But I'm running on limited funds right now :(

Then I saw the 4 year old ewe for $75, what a deal! I know that it's because she has mastitis, but still, you can't even get a lamb for that around here! My question is, knowing she has mastitis would it not be a good idea to get her? I could supplement with a bottle. Pics should be in order of the listing.

For Sale Katahdin Hair Sheep
I have 2 ram lambs. One is white and one is brown. The brown one has a trace amount of wool breed in him but I believe he has hair. $125 each, cash
4 year old ewe, Very friendly and would make a good pet. Last year she had mastitis and now only one side of her udder works, but is a great mother. $75 cash
Yearling ewe, all white and may be bred. $150 cash
3 year old proven ram, black. $200 cash
All sheep are up to date on vaccinations and the adults have been wormed as well.

00h0h_a40BBa50w2s_600x450.jpg

00Q0Q_ftyMBeuMmUn_600x450.jpg

00w0w_2Wo7fpoaipf_600x450.jpg

00O0O_amU8DkAKObB_600x450.jpg

00v0v_jeNSqvuDHoQ_600x450.jpg

The pictures they included aren't the best so it's hard to form a good opinion of them.

Here's my opinion:

They all look a bit small, probably due to not ideal nutrition and/or parasites.

The yearling ewe is a little light boned, but shows the most promise. It's hard to judge her body condition with her winter fuzz on. She might be a bit skinny, but some good feed would fix that.

The 4 year old ewe has better bone and doesn't look too bad, but the prior mastitis is an issue. IF you don't mind paying to bottle feed, then go for it. Bred to the right ram, she could make some nice babies for you that you could replace her with.

I don't like the looks of the adult ram. It could just be the angle of the picture, but if I was choosing a breeding ram for meat sheep, I'd want one that was a lot thicker.

The ram lambs don't look all that special either. I've got wool breed lambs that have more meat on them.

------

Everyone is going to have an opinion, but ultimately, YOUR opinion is the only one that matters.

Not everyone has the desire or ability to run a profitable (monetarily anyways) commercial farm. Some folks simply want a small backyard flock (HINT: what's the name of this forum???) to provide them with some meat, milk, wool, or just pets. There is nothing wrong with that.

Latest posts