Is it just me?

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
So I was doing my usual scouring of craigslist and I came upon a new add about a ewe lamb for sale. She really appealed to me as her little face won my heart. And yes I am very aware I won't get her but still:p :hide. Anyways is it just me or is the way this add is worded he is implying that this 4 month old lamb is ready for breeding. I'm wondering if its just me interpretting things odd. This add made me a bit annoyed because 4 months old is way too young for her to be bred. Is this just me looking too far into thing?

Im curious what you guys think.
image.jpeg

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So I was doing my usual scouring of craigslist and I came upon a new add about a ewe lamb for sale. She really appealed to me as her little face won my heart. And yes I am very aware I won't get her but still:p :hide. Anyways is it just me or is the way this add is worded he is implying that this 4 month old lamb is ready for breeding. I'm wondering if its just me interpretting things odd. This add made me a bit annoyed because 4 months old is way too young for her to be bred. Is this just me looking too far into thing?

Im curious what you guys think.
View attachment 21203
Yes, it does sound like that to me. Maybe he meant to write 14 months...:hu

I didn't know people docked sheep tails. Is there a purpose for that or just for looks?

As you can probably tell- I do not have sheep and know nothing about 'em .

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, it does sound like that to me. Maybe he meant to write 14 months...:hu

I didn't know people docked sheep tails. Is there a purpose for that or just for looks?

As you can probably tell- I do not have sheep and know nothing about 'em .
I was so scared I would be the only one! But hey thats my anxiety for ya.

Anyways sheep tails get docked to prevent fly strike. Its when poop gets caked on the tail and flys lay their eggs. Nasty stuff, thankfully I've never had to deal with it.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
There's little written there to confuse. He states he has an open ewe and in heat... I sure HOPE he meant to put 14 months vice 4. I don't know but I thought under a year it would be referred to as a lamb, not a ewe... You could always respond to his ad to verify...

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Maybe she's 14 months. Here's a picture of the ewe.

In this picture she looks like she could be 4 or 14 months. I'm trying to compare her to Ras who has matured considerably in the last two months(he is 5 mon)
image.jpeg

image.jpeg
This picture however kinda looks like she is still considerably small.

As I look back at the pictures Im starting to wonder.. I will try to contact the owner tommorrow(by that I mean later its 4 am :p ) .

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Four months old is a little young to be coming into heat... and I've never been able to spot a sheep in heat unless a ram is nearby, so she's either exposed to a ram currently or there is a ram trying to get to her through a fence.

Her picture seems like she could be either 4 or 14 months old; She does look little in the second photo so she could be 4 months old. Also if she were 14 months old, that would mean she would be born in late June/July of last year--you don't normally have sheep lambing that late. She is likely just 4 months old--but as far as being in heat? Unlikely. He may just be saying that as a marketing ploy: "Buy this sheep today and breed her right away!" kind of a thing.

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ah, come on @luvmypets, you know she needs a good home, you have a good heart. It is a match made in heaven. Go get your girl and save her from a life of doom and despair! You know you want her, you know you need her and she needs you. (ok, I'll crawl back into my goatie box now.)
x2

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm not a betting man but if I was I would bet that she has already thought about bringing that girl home. :)

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Maybe the person thinks by saying she's in heat someone will feel like they must rush to get her! Ha I have no idea. I don't even know what to think about half of the things I see on Craigslist. I do know it is a dangerous place for those of us who want to save everything!