Is it normal for male ram sheep to violently headbutt the walls?

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
There is a reason for higher asking prices by quality purebred breeders which is they sell proven HIGH QUALITY animals that will produce quaIity offsping. I know that you understand the garbage in = garbage out principal especially in genetic quality. So, buy fewer breeding stock and they will be more PROFITABLE than the poor foundation stock. Also, the RAM is equal to 1/2 of your flock, so buy the BEST qulity genetics that you can find. Google Dorper sheep to get ideas of the breed standard to achieve in your flock.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've been watching this with fascination as I want to get a few sheep in the spring. Even though I literally want like 5 sheep, it is in my best interest to get the best 5 sheep I can afford!

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree with the others. Buy the best animals you can!

I read your post and my jaw dropped, balking at a $150 lamb price :eek: especially if these are "quality" lambs. That would be a steal IMO
You should see the prices of some of the Dorpers closer to where we are. $150 would be a cull, from what I've seen anyway. I don't "do" sheep but I love the Dorpers.

You might want to see if you can find a good breeder. Buying at auctions is not a good practice- at least not here.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree, $150 would be a steal. I know someone in Texas that raises Dorpers and she pays many times that for her ewes.

soarwitheagles

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Yes, I hear you on the risks of purchasing at the auction. And I also hear you on the importance of starting the adventure with excellent stock. And I do not want to be stubborn or sound unreasonable, but...

I purchased the two Dorpers lambs in the pic below at the auction for $65 if I remember right. I also picked up a Katahdin lamb at the same time for only $55. Now both Dorpers are over 200 lbs. and both are pregnant too. I will do my best to take a pic of them now.

Perhaps I was just plain lucky. I was hoping to purchase an entire flock of 30-100 Dorpers, and I would like to pay $55-$60 per head. Local ranchers are asking anywhere from $150 up to $250 a head! Ouch! That is way beyond our present budget. I realize purchasing from an auction is somewhat of a gamble, but so far, I have done ok there...

Sheep pic 1.JPG

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Glad it worked out for you.

I'm not one to gamble. :) You are bound to loose at one point or another and if/when you get something like Johne's one your land you can hang up the thought of having ruminants for a long, long time. Not to mention all the cost that comes along with it..

I don't know much about sheep, but I'd recommend finding a very nice ram to help improve the 2 ewes you have right now. @Bossroo could probably give some pointers.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I know that sometimes you can find good bargains at auctions, I know of a few really nice goats that have gone that way, but it is rare. I would really be concerned about disease and lack of vigorous genetics. But I understand the financial end of it but if you get burned it could take years to recover; just be very careful.

soarwitheagles

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Wow, so many warnings...so many dangers...so many risks...

Well then, I have another idea...

How about I sell off my entire flock of AB's around Christmas time, then purchase 10-15 well bred Dorper ewes that are pregnant from a reputable seller?

How's that for a compromise?

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Perfect. If you were buying sheep to raise and put in your freezer that would be one thing, but as breeders that is just a big risk. I talked to my friend in KY that raises Katahdins and she says the same thing, buying at an auction is just too risky for breeding stock. She takes her young slaughter rams there and her cull ewe lambs, but if a sheep is worth owning then she sells it private treaty. In the long run you will so much happier.

You might look at Katahdins too, they are another fast growing hair breed that you might like. Dorpers and Katahdins make a good mix too.

Are your ABs registered?