Is it normal for male ram sheep to violently headbutt the walls?

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Personally I'd just get rid of him if he doesn't 'mellow out'. He'll catch someone off guard and really hurt them.

Another ram (intact or otherwise) should make a friend for him.....but introduction needs to be gradual. They need a fence between them for a few days until they get used to the smell of each other and the introductions are often best done in a barn/shed etc. After a couple of days with a fence between let them out into field (enough room to get away from each other). After a couple of days they usually get to like each other's company and become lifelong friends. They may also be 'friends with benefits'.....the dominant ram mounting the less dominant.....hey, but if it keeps them happy....

FunInTheSun

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Personally I'd just get rid of him if he doesn't 'mellow out'. He'll catch someone off guard and really hurt them.

Another ram (intact or otherwise) should make a friend for him.....but introduction needs to be gradual. They need a fence between them for a few days until they get used to the smell of each other and the introductions are often best done in a barn/shed etc. After a couple of days with a fence between let them out into field (enough room to get away from each other). After a couple of days they usually get to like each other's company and become lifelong friends. They may also be 'friends with benefits'.....the dominant ram mounting the less dominant.....hey, but if it keeps them happy....
I'm all for getting rid of him! Just by chance (not with any type of experience!), we did exactly what you suggested and introduced him to a wether. But, he continues to head butt everything in sight. The two of them are OK together in the pasture, but the head butting continues. After reading the posts here, I now know that not all rams head butt like this, so I'm ready to try a different one. I really appreciate all the advice!

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
I now know that not all rams head butt like this, so I'm ready to try a different one. I really appreciate all the advice!
Most rams don't do a lot of head butting with their pals, though they will have the occasional 'bout'. Maybe your ram has an aggressive nature
This is more usual with rams who have become accustomed to each other.
rams.jpg

The fellow on the right is not yet fully grown, but the two on the left are serious heavyweights. I don't ever see any real aggression from them....either to each other, and certainly not to me.
In this little group the 'adolescent' is the one who does the mounting!

FunInTheSun

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Well, way to go young guy! Ha! That's the kind of calmness we'd like in our pasture!

I have a question that I hope isn't too silly. Another post suggested that our AB might be sexually frustrated. I understand that ABs are year-round breeders, so does that mean a year-round breeder ram needs to be "busy" all year-round? Or, is the year-round breeder only meaning the ewe is year-round and the rams, regardless of breed, are always ready to go if a ewe is ready?

We prefer to breed only once per year, in the fall, so we can lamb around April or so. When we get rid of the little monster, I'm wondering whether we need to get a ram from a breed that is just a once-per-year breeder.

Hope all this makes sense!

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
The guys above are seasonal breeders. In August or September they get stinky, their testicles expand and they get more feisty. They are ready and waiting for the girls to come into season.
With all-year-rounders, they are ready to breed any time, and probably would like a steady stream of ewes in season.
The seasonal breeding rams are not known to miss a ewe who happens to come into season early or late, though, so I guess they are always 'ready' just sometimes more ready than others.