Is it ok to turn our sheep out to a pasture where there are lots of the foxtails?

soarwitheagles

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Ok, I kinda blew it. There was no way I could finish the fencing this winter. Our back forest area is growing grass and forbs like crazy! But when I checked the grass and forbs, I found a substantial amount of the fox tails...and all are still green.

I remember years ago a friend telling me the foxtails gave his dogs a heck of a lot of trouble, but I think this was after the foxtails were totally dried out and very brittle and sharp.

These fox tails are luscious looking and still very green and fresh.

I kind a wish I had the fence ready before the fox tails grew at the top of the grass, then the sheep would have eaten down before the appearance of the foxtails.

And now, the million dollar question:

Is it ok to turn our sheep out to a pasture where there are lots of the foxtails?

Thanks,

Soar

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
They can eat the foxtails when they are green and soft. Just make sure they don't get in dry ones. Have a friend that lost a goat when a foxtail went into the brain. Don't remember if it entered through the eye or nose but doesn't matter, it had the same horrible outcome. I am a stickler for keeping them cut in the dog's yard.

They are actually supposed to be very nutritious when green.

http://cdnc.ucr.edu/cgi-bin/cdnc?a=d&d=PRP19130308.2.2

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I had issues logging on to this site for the last 2 weeks, but now I hope this is solved. Yes, foxtail grass seed heads will bury into animals' gums, skin, and anywhere they get an opportunity to enter the skin. I have seen them migrate into the nasal cavity, eye, brain, heart, liver, kidney, etc. on autopsied cattle, sheep, goats, dogs, cats, etc. . However, these occuransies are fairly rare as I have seen animals' mouths packed with the seed heads stuck in the teeth and gums, then the animals recover with no ill effects since the seed heads fail to migrate any further. My own sheep flocks were on foxtail pastures for years and I didn't have any serious issues with any of the sheep except on a few that had them in the eye, but recovered completely after I pulled the foxtails out. :idunno

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Boss's input seems like great news! Get the fencing finished and let those self propelled pasture mowers loose!

soarwitheagles

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I had issues logging on to this site for the last 2 weeks, but now I hope this is solved. Yes, foxtail grass seed heads will bury into animals' gums, skin, and anywhere they get an opportunity to enter the skin. I have seen them migrate into the nasal cavity, eye, brain, heart, liver, kidney, etc. on autopsied cattle, sheep, goats, dogs, cats, etc. . However, these occuransies are fairly rare as I have seen animals' mouths packed with the seed heads stuck in the teeth and gums, then the animals recover with no ill effects since the seed heads fail to migrate any further. My own sheep flocks were on foxtail pastures for years and I didn't have any serious issues with any of the sheep except on a few that had them in the eye, but recovered completely after I pulled the foxtails out. :idunno

Wow Bossroo,

After reading your post it appears as if we wouldn't have a problem...but to play it safe, in the future, I would like to place sheep out in the fox tail areas and let them eat the grass, forbs, etc. BEFORE the foxtails appear. Unfortunately, it is too late for that here now!

How's the fence coming along? Pictures??

I haven't even installed any fencing up in our planted pastures...still haven't found the time. Presently, I am thinking to simply fence our orchard and grape vineyards, then let the sheep loose to graze everything [temporary solution].

Boss's input seems like great news! Get the fencing finished and let those self propelled pasture mowers loose!

Working on it...I did just finish a small portion of fencing in the back area that is adjacent to the thick eucalyptus forest. This was kind of a test...and, the sheep are loving the foxtails, grasses, etc. Now to see how long it takes for them to eat it all up. It is a 100ft. by 100ft. test area. There are 10+ more acres of this type of unplanted natural grass that comes up every year on our property. My rancher friend says he thinks we could populate with up to 50 sheep for 5-6 months per year on this part of the land.

I am hoping to mend a couple of areas of the fencing out back, install electric fence wire on top and on bottom, and then next year, allow 25-50 sheep out there.

I am attaching a pic of the back area with our sheep grazing/browsing. We call it the "Jungle" for now...

Sheep with fox tails.JPG

Eucalyptus Forest 2.JPG

Eucalyptus Forest 3.JPG

New fencing 1.JPG

Last edited:

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Man, that looks like herbivore heaven! I'm sure they are loving it. It looks so lush and green!

soarwitheagles

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Man, that looks like herbivore heaven! I'm sure they are loving it. It looks so lush and green!

LS,

Yes, they love it. I just let them out a couple of minutes ago and they all ran to the grass and began to chomp it down rapidly. They appear to be able to self monitor too...they don't eat too much. They eat like crazy, then lay down with a big smile.

I just posted more pics. Man, I wish I could have figured this out sooner. We could have had sheep eating free food for 5-6 months for years.

This present El Nino is causing all the grass and forbs, etc. to grow like crazy, and we may have rain all the way up to the end of May.

I would like to prepare all this area for sheep to graze and browse. It's gonna take some time.

I spent a couple of days repairing fencing and installing new fence and it was only 100ft. by 100ft. You can see the new fence in the pic I posted. To be 100% honest with everyone, installing fencing is much more time consuming than I ever realized. How can I possibly install another 2000ft. in a one week period? I think I need to be superman...

Last edited: