Is it possible?

farmlifewannabe

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I am still pretty new to raising goats and learning daily. My question is... is it possible that my wether got my doe pregnant? The lady we got him from kept changing how many weeks he was and didn't mention until we drove 2.5 hours to pick him up that he had just got banded minutes before we arrived! He was roughly 7-9 weeks old. My doe was in heat around the time we brought him home. She wasn't too keen on him but we did catch him on her a few times. Didn't think anything of it until I realized I haven't noticed her in heat since. I've been paying extra close attention to her in the last 2.5 weeks, nothing except tail wagging daily. She would be 10-11 weeks along if she is. Mainly I need to know to prepare our barn and her vet check. Her belly seems bigger underneath bairly. She's been grazing much more but that may just be the new yummy plants. Her lady parts are swollen on the outside and top. I feel a bit crazy lately thinking it may be possible.

ldawntaylor

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hi and welcome.

In my experience it is possible. Although in my situation it was a 8 week old doeling that got pregnant. I didn't know a thing about it until I went to the goat shed one morning and there the kid was. And that 7 month old doe was the one with the evidence of birthing.

It was kind of amusing in an odd way. Or maybe it is just my sense of humor...but after the kid would nurse from the doeling, she would go nurse from her mother.

farmlifewannabe

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi and welcome.

In my experience it is possible. Although in my situation it was a 8 week old doeling that got pregnant. I didn't know a thing about it until I went to the goat shed one morning and there the kid was. And that 7 month old doe was the one with the evidence of birthing.

It was kind of amusing in an odd way. Or maybe it is just my sense of humor...but after the kid would nurse from the doeling, she would go nurse from her mother.
Wow.. what a surprise that'd be.

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome.
I didn't even know it was possible for a doe at eight weeks to get pregnant. And yes just like southern said it can take weeks.

ldawntaylor

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Farmlifewannabe, yes that kid was a big surprise. I guess that is why he has the name he does. He turned out to be a real delight to me. I wish he could have been left intact. But...he was attacked by feral dogs when he was a month old, and with the broken leg that didn't heal properly the vet recommended he be wethered. He still has trouble with that old injury when there is a change in the weather.

TAH, from what I understand a doe so young getting pregnant just doesn't happen very often or there is a spontanious miscarriage/abortion. With my herd set up I was expecting there was a good chance she would get pregnant early. I just wasn't expecting that early. For the time I've had goats I just never have been able to set up or maintain a separate area for the buck. If/when something happens to my older dog I may be able to get one that can stay with the herd instead of just near it. Then I would have a separate pen and shelter available. But, only time will tell on that one.

Reactions: TAH

farmlifewannabe

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Farmlifewannabe, yes that kid was a big surprise. I guess that is why he has the name he does. He turned out to be a real delight to me. I wish he could have been left intact. But...he was attacked by feral dogs when he was a month old, and with the broken leg that didn't heal properly the vet recommended he be wethered. He still has trouble with that old injury when there is a change in the weather.

TAH, from what I understand a doe so young getting pregnant just doesn't happen very often or there is a spontanious miscarriage/abortion. With my herd set up I was expecting there was a good chance she would get pregnant early. I just wasn't expecting that early. For the time I've had goats I just never have been able to set up or maintain a separate area for the buck. If/when something happens to my older dog I may be able to get one that can stay with the herd instead of just near it. Then I would have a separate pen and shelter available. But, only time will tell on that one.
Oh, poor thing! :(

ldawntaylor

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
He's in good spirits and usually in good health. It is a bit of a challenge to trim his hooves. But other than the limp and needing extra care with hoof trimming the only other sign of his ordeal is that he can't stand dogs. Especially the mid-sized ones. I don't know how he would take to a small puppy. But, half grown or bigger had better look out. I suspect I won't be doing any serious looking for an LGD until he is gone or can be with the buck in a separate pasture.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
He's in good spirits and usually in good health. It is a bit of a challenge to trim his hooves. But other than the limp and needing extra care with hoof trimming the only other sign of his ordeal is that he can't stand dogs. Especially the mid-sized ones. I don't know how he would take to a small puppy. But, half grown or bigger had better look out. I suspect I won't be doing any serious looking for an LGD until he is gone or can be with the buck in a separate pasture.

You might be surprised. It is amazing how quickly the goats know the LGD's are there to protect them. We had a goat we brought in that was TERRIFIED of dogs... the worst part was the farm had a crazy "LGD" that was really not a LGD (obviously mixed with herding dog but claimed it was a pyr) the "LGD" that wasn't eventually was penned permanently... anyhow this goat was side by side while in quarantine- just a fence separated her from 5 LGD's 3 of which were 5 month old pups. Out of quarantine the first day as we took her out she was terrified but we held her and each dog sniffed her. Within a few weeks she had a new best friend. One of the LGD's. She doesn't care for other dogs but her LGD's they are her companians and one is always by her side. She actually will spring the lock on a gate to let the dogs out if we have them separated. Bad goat. ;)