Is it safe to breed a four month old rabbit?

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
oneacrefarm said:
Ms. Research said:
oneacrefarm said:
Actually, there is some evidence that 4-5 mos is the ideal time to breed for the first time, and that younger does seem to get it right more often the first time than those that are older at their first litter. However, it really is up to you and your rabbit. IF the rabbit seems ready by checking the genitals, they should be bright pink to purple/red, then go for it. Your buck won't be ready at this age, they probably need to be 5-6 mos at least. I have two does right now that I bred at 16 weeks and they both built lovely nests, pulled fur, had their kits in the nest, fed them and pulled more fur to cover. Their kits are thriving. I also had two that I waited until 7 mos to breed...both kindled in box, on the hay, but did not make a nest, pull fur or feed the kits. All 14 kits died. It is probably anecdotal so far, but I mean to keep trying this to see how it works.
So smaller rabbits do mature faster, but it depends on the individual rabbit? Is that what you are saying?

As I will be breeding small rabbits (Lionheads), and seeing how fast at 4 months my Polish matured, I am kind of seeing the logic of starting does that early. But I can't wrap my head around that 4 month though. I still considered them babies.

K
Not necessarily smaller, no. I raise Cali's and now Standard Rex as well. As I said, this is only what I have observed with my own rabbits. If they seem ready, I breed them at 17wks. If not, I wait until I see signs of readiness, ie. pink/purple vulva, "riding" on their cage mate, irritability, etc.

If you think about the speed with which they gestate, and the average life expectancy, 4 months is more like an older teenager than a baby for a rabbit.
Gotcha. Thanks, your reply really makes sense. Helps unwrap the brain and see what I witnessed with my own bucks. And understand that 4 months, if any breed doe is ready, it would be safe to try for a litter.

K

Lionheadlover21

Herd lurker
Reaction score
Actually it's better to breed your does young so that when she's a little older she'll know what to do majority of does don't know what they are doing anyway with their first litter it doesn't matter how old as long as an appropriate breeding age im actually gonna wait until my doe is 5 months my buck is a month older than her.

Attachments

• IMG_6637.JPG
    IMG_6637.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_6845.JPG
    IMG_6845.JPG
    168.6 KB · Views: 109

Lionheadlover21

Herd lurker
Reaction score
Lol yeah I know I'm late but just like I had the question and looked for answers some one else can do the same times have changed back then you couldn't wean kits til 8 weeks now it's 4-8

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Commercial breeders have weaned around 4 weeks for decades (maybe even centuries), because they are breeding their does back within a short time of giving birth, and they need the older litter out of the way so the doe can prepare for the next litter. They also expect some losses at weaning, something that a pet/show breeder finds really painful to deal with. Because young rabbits never have and still don't deal with stress very well, it is now illegal in a lot of states (mine included) to sell a rabbit less than 8 weeks old, whatever age it may have been at weaning.

I have been keeping/breeding rabbits since the mid-80's. If I had a nickel for every time over the years that someone has told me "we bought a bunny at the pet shop, but it died," I could probably pay off my mortgage. I can just about guarantee you that what killed the vast majority of those rabbits was stress, even if indirectly. Whether it is nursing or not, a young rabbit that hasn't been removed from its mother's cage still has the same sights and smells and sounds and routine that it has always experienced, so has minimal amounts of stress to deal with. That's what the "don't wean 'til 8 weeks" thing is really about - minimizing stress.

Rabbits haven't changed that much, the only thing that has really changed is what people are saying on the internet . . . . and that is kind of a "flavor of the month" thing.:confused:

Last edited:

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Female Rabbits have been bred at first oportunity for millions of years before man got involved. The offspring have been weaned suddently at an early age when their mother has fallen to a predator and somehow many managed to survive in spite of the presence of predators in their home range or chased out of it to face realities of their new territory.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have a baby Jack Rabbit that has taken up residence in my yard. He can't be more than 4 weeks old, tiniest little guy but I guess he figured out where to find food (all the alfalfa he can eat) and water so as long as he stays away from the dogs (and my garden) he should be safe. Smart thinking for a young kit.