Is it time?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Strange situation. But I'm with other two and their suggestions. Does her feed have molasses on it? If not, add a little and see if it changes her desire. Have you tried free choice baking soda? Alfalfa pellets are hay in a pellet form just no forage length. Throw a couple handfuls to her. Will help with protein and calcium for her.

There may be something in her throat you can't feel...and if her usual feed mix is actual grain, may annoy that. She's eating things that soften to mush as she swallows. Goats have treacherous jaw teeth. You'll need her mouth open to check those and throat. A short piece of PVC pipe (2-3") stuck in her mouth to keep from biting down, strong flashlight, look and see. Yeah. You'll need help! A vet would tranq and do but, this can allow you to look in there. Your palpation was probably all along outside of teeth. I'm thinking inside of teeth. Etc.

Sure hope you find the problem. Oh. Goats can live into teens.

Your feed selection may be limited but. I've gotten some great hay out of Canada!

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
How old can a goat get?
I've had several live to 12+ years and one that almost made it to 15 but those are exceptions rather than the rule. Eight is getting up there but not terrible...I've had does kid until 10 and do well with some TLC.

However, in the case of your doe I wouldn't breed her again if her condition doesn't improve immensely. If it happens, you could always pull her babies at birth and bottle feed. That would take a lot of the strain off of her.

I'm going to mention supplementing her with beet pulp again as it does help improve condition. Alfalfa also as was mentioned. I hope she improves.

Shepherdess219

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Strange situation. But I'm with other two and their suggestions. Does her feed have molasses on it? If not, add a little and see if it changes her desire. Have you tried free choice baking soda? Alfalfa pellets are hay in a pellet form just no forage length. Throw a couple handfuls to her. Will help with protein and calcium for her.

There may be something in her throat you can't feel...and if her usual feed mix is actual grain, may annoy that. She's eating things that soften to mush as she swallows. Goats have treacherous jaw teeth. You'll need her mouth open to check those and throat. A short piece of PVC pipe (2-3") stuck in her mouth to keep from biting down, strong flashlight, look and see. Yeah. You'll need help! A vet would tranq and do but, this can allow you to look in there. Your palpation was probably all along outside of teeth. I'm thinking inside of teeth. Etc.

Sure hope you find the problem. Oh. Goats can live into teens.

Your feed selection may be limited but. I've gotten some great hay out of Canada!
Thank you! I’ll try the molasses as I don’t believe the sheep/goat text has any on it. I’ll also pick up some alfalfa cubes and try that.

Yes, treacherous back teeth indeed, I’ve cut myself on sheep teeth. Like many knives back there.

Failing all of that I’ll have to take her to the vet. I’ll brace myself for a big bill. It’ll likely cost me the price of a top notch replacement.

Yes, my hay was excellent this year despite the drought, but my hay guy irrigates so that saved me.

Shepherdess219

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I've had several live to 12+ years and one that almost made it to 15 but those are exceptions rather than the rule. Eight is getting up there but not terrible...I've had does kid until 10 and do well with some TLC.

However, in the case of your doe I wouldn't breed her again if her condition doesn't improve immensely. If it happens, you could always pull her babies at birth and bottle feed. That would take a lot of the strain off of her.

I'm going to mention supplementing her with beet pulp again as it does help improve condition. Alfalfa also as was mentioned. I hope she improves.

Thank you, that’s what I was thinking that it was time. Unfortunately, not breeding her isn’t an option since I would have to separate her and she would be all by herself for the winter and that doesn’t work. I will have to try to rehome her, but she’s the queen and I’m not sure she’d be happy going to a new home where she’d have to fight for dominance.

So hard when this happens.

I will try all the food tricks and see if I can get her back to condition and see how she does over the summer.

Shepherdess219

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thank you! I’ll try the molasses as I don’t believe the sheep/goat text has any on it. I’ll also pick up some alfalfa cubes and try that.

Yes, treacherous back teeth indeed, I’ve cut myself on sheep teeth. Like many knives back there.

Failing all of that I’ll have to take her to the vet. I’ll brace myself for a big bill. It’ll likely cost me the price of a top notch replacement.

Yes, my hay was excellent this year despite the drought, but my hay guy irrigates so that saved me.
Well, she ate more if her grain than she has in weeks with the molasses, but still only about a half cup ish? Seemed to chew and swallow fine. Then she quit. I will pick up alfalfa cubes tomorrow when I’m in town.

Here’s a couple of pics.

Attachments

• 781B5633-5989-4E9B-B71A-40A8E7483D7F.jpeg
    781B5633-5989-4E9B-B71A-40A8E7483D7F.jpeg
    713.9 KB · Views: 96
  • 13C8AC9B-C7C9-47DC-87A1-6F251D1151A8.jpeg
    13C8AC9B-C7C9-47DC-87A1-6F251D1151A8.jpeg
    447.9 KB · Views: 88

Shepherdess219

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Just wanted to say thank you for the advice. She’s getting half cup of sheep/goat text with molasses and 1/2 cup alfalfa pellets. Tongiht she ate almost all of it. I’ve put some pellets in my pocket and give her some throughout the day if I see her.

I hope she’ll start putting on some weight now.

Latest posts