Is it time?

Shepherdess219

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Well, and now she’s decided she doesn’t like that anymore. Got her mouth open, but all I saw was green. But I really pressed on teeth and she never flinched. And nothings stuck in her throat. Guess all I can do is keep offering. Other than being skinny, she comes running with everyone, is bright eyed and looks happy.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, and now she’s decided she doesn’t like that anymore. Got her mouth open, but all I saw was green. But I really pressed on teeth and she never flinched. And nothings stuck in her throat. Guess all I can do is keep offering. Other than being skinny, she comes running with everyone, is bright eyed and looks happy.
Did you also run your fingers along the gums?

Shepherdess219

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Did you also run your fingers along the gums?
I didn’t run my fingers along the top gums. Didn’t want to get too close to her back teeth. But I will try feeling her top gums.

Shepherdess219

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I wonder if the grain went off (mold or rancid) and she is just more picky than the others? Have you tried buying a new bag and feeding that?
It was a new bag at the time and all the other goats are eating it. She was excited about the alfalfa pellets and now she’s turning her nose up at those.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Remember that goats need more roughage than sheep so a strictly grass/clover pasture might not be enough for her to keep weight up. Another trick to try is to mix Calf Manna pellets with her pellet ration. I routinely used to give Vitamin B injections to the goats if they seemed off or didn't want to eat. It perked them up, helped their appetite, and was really good if a goat was stressed from moving or whatever. Not sure what dose would be for her.

Shepherdess219

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Remember that goats need more roughage than sheep so a strictly grass/clover pasture might not be enough for her to keep weight up. Another trick to try is to mix Calf Manna pellets with her pellet ration. I routinely used to give Vitamin B injections to the goats if they seemed off or didn't want to eat. It perked them up, helped their appetite, and was really good if a goat was stressed from moving or whatever. Not sure what dose would be for her.
Since she’s refusing any grain/pellets at this point I can’t mix anything in. I did recheck her record and she’s actually 9/10 this year. The guy I bought her from didn’t know her age exactly. All I can do is offer whatever she’ll take at this point. She seems very bright and happy at this point.