Is my bunny lonely?

kyrose

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hello,fairly new to rabbits.I have an 8-9 month old doe,Midnight,i dont no her breed,i got from my daughter.I built her a 4x4 habitat in the living room and she has plenty of toys and chews and a hideaway.The few times ive been able to let her out to run,she has had a ball with my dog and cat.They get along great.The cat has even gone into her habitat and midnight didnt seem to care at all.I dont get to let her out very often so i was wondering if i should try to get her a playmate,but ive read that introducing a new rabbit doesnt usually work.I thought maybe because she gets along so well with the other animals that may be a sign it could work with her? Im interested in any thoughts you all may have..Thanks..

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
First off, Hi, Welcome to the Forum.

Regarding bunnies being lonely, I have to say that's more a human emotion than a bunny emotion. I thought the same as you. They needed company. It IS more successful for rabbits to be litter mates to have two together. And that's a crap shoot too. Attitudes towards each other can change when hormones set in. Rabbits are individuals and need individuals space. I learned my lesson by bringing a third rabbit into my home. I will never introduce my original two to this rabbit because just the scent of him on my hands made my smallest male bite. They are very territorial and can and will hurt another.

My advise is "keep the status quo". Sounds like your rabbit has a very healthy, happy environment. Don't feel guilty. :)

kyrose

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Ms. Research said:
First off, Hi, Welcome to the Forum.

Regarding bunnies being lonely, I have to say that's more a human emotion than a bunny emotion. I thought the same as you. They needed company. It IS more successful for rabbits to be litter mates to have two together. And that's a crap shoot too. Attitudes towards each other can change when hormones set in. Rabbits are individuals and need individuals space. I learned my lesson by bringing a third rabbit into my home. I will never introduce my original two to this rabbit because just the scent of him on my hands made my smallest male bite. They are very territorial and can and will hurt another.

My advise is "keep the status quo". Sounds like your rabbit has a very healthy, happy environment. Don't feel guilty. :)
Thanks Ms. Research,i just wanted to make sure.She gets so excited when the dog or cat comes over to her habitat.Its so cute.

norcal

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I wouldn't doubt that she's lonely - I've seen it in all kinds of other animals. However, it sounds like she gets to see the dog & cat probably enough to keep her happy. :) JMHO

kyrose

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
norcal said:
I wouldn't doubt that she's lonely - I've seen it in all kinds of other animals. However, it sounds like she gets to see the dog & cat probably enough to keep her happy. :) JMHO
She gets to see them but doesnt get to interact with them to often because she doesnt get out of her habitat very often..

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
norcal said:
Researching goats and sheep, an animal that has the "herd" instinct (need to be around others to feel safe) will get lonely and destructive if only being by themselves. That's why most breeders state that it's healthy to purchase two goats. For companionship. Rabbits are loners. As prey animals, they need to think for themselves to survive. So rabbits aren't truly lonely by themselves.

Rabbits I hear get along better with other species then their own. My rabbits really enjoy the contact with our dog Jake. We call him our Bunny LGD. :)

kyrose

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks eveyone.i feel better now... :thumbsup

norcal

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
When we moved mama's cage indoors (when she had kits), daughter bunny in the cage next door starting acting weird, didn't eat much. I thought she was a gonner. Put mama bunny & her babies back out there & weird behaviors went away. To me, she missed her mama. Y'all can think what you want. To each their own. :)

hoodat

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Rabbits are very adaptable when it comes to a herd instinct. They will often form colonies in the wild but they will also (especially pregnant does) often leave the colony on their own and go off by themselves (presumably to start a new colony). They need some sort of interaction to keep from being bored but it doesn't have to be another rabbit. They are content to interact with you or, as you have seen, other animals.