Is my goat actually pregnant?

CaramelKittey

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Well, I was wrong. For the longest time, my doe convinced me she was not pregnant. She did not look much bigger. Her udder was not really developing. I thought she might have gone through a heat cycle or two however, she is one of those does that have very subtle heat cycles. Turns out, she is (probably) pregnant. Yesterday, there was a small amount of yellow mucous coming from her back area. And today, I was just messing with her teats when a small amount if clear fluid came out. I was shocked! Is this clear fluid colostrum? She is a first freshener and does not have an udder yet however, her test size has increased. Is she actually pregnant?

Her kidding clip is done and my kidding kit is ready! :)

I will probably be updating soon. Due date is 7/4! :weee

Edit: Here are some pictures of my lady in waiting.

646CC24D-9F95-404A-9BD9-B6DAC5EE06C2.jpeg

2AE45DC5-7FB0-4CEE-9D22-1B1269D57424.jpeg

54BD9421-DE4F-45C1-A5CB-3A10A2C0BB4C.jpeg

Does she look pregnant?

Thank you!

Last edited:

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Eh.... I can never tell.

The only thing that is a dead give away for me... is the tail ligaments.

Feel those every day... if they feel like hard pencils... then she isn't going to kid soon.

If they start to soften up, then she is getting close to kidding.

Yeah... not really a pregnancy sign. . ... except if she is kidding... well... she is pregnant. :lol:

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wasn't able to see any udder development - can you get another picture? Also, a lot of does will have that creamy discharge that dries on the vulva at the end of a heat cycle. Hope that's not the case for you, but it could be...

CaramelKittey

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Today there was a little more mucous however, it was a small amount of white mucous. This is another sign of heat, right? Normally, I would just assume she was in heat however, I still can’t explain the clear liquid I squeezed from her teats. Any ideas? She clearly does not have an udder. Here is a picture of the white mucous.

11DD0F89-5A8D-4980-84B9-159061243957.jpeg

I shaved her today (after this picture was taken) and will come back tomorrow with better pictures. IF she is pregnant, she is due in 9 days.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated! Thank you!

CaramelKittey

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Yep! Not pregnant...:(
We will TRY to breed her and her sister this fall. Right now, they are both clearly in heat. Thanks everybody for your help!

CaramelKittey

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Sorry for the disappointment.

Because yep.... they sure tend to leave us guessing!

FYI
If you make sure they have good minerals before breeding the breeding is more likely to take. Also... not too fat or thin.
Thanks for the advice! We always offer free choice minerals for them. Do you recommend a certain brand? We use two different mineral mixes.
Thank you!

Latest posts