Is my heifer rejecting her new born calf?

glenolam

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
One of our heifers started the "labor" signs early this morning. Her water broke around 8-8:30am so we started to watch her closely. Almost 2 hours later my husband walked up to the barn to check on her and saw 2 hooves sticking out, so he grabbed a hold and held (we had seen a hoof pop in and out for about a half hour prior, so at this point he felt he should help out a little). She delivered a heifer, who was very vocal at first.

We stepped out of the barn to let them bond and watched to make sure she nursed and that mom cleaned her off...

But that didn't really happen. Mom wasn't interested in cleaning her off and when the calf stood up to find the teat, mom pushed her away.

We left them alone; since it's mom's first time calving we figured maybe she didn't want an audience, so we waited a bit and spied on them a little.

My husband says he saw the calf nurse a little and I asked if he heard her nursing or if he just saw her mouth near a teat and he said he heard and saw it.

However, 2 hours later she's still not cleaned up and we haven't seen her nurse again. We haven't been by their sides the entire time, and the calf is getting up to walk every so often, so are we just overreacting?

When do we need to intervene?

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
Wow, I totally would not have expected a calf this early! Congrats on a heifer calf!

Are they penned away from the other girls? I'd do that if you haven't already. Also, I would not offer any hay or feed at this point, only water. You don't want Momma to be distracted by anything right now. You might try to sprinkle a little grain (just a little) on the calf's back to try to get Momma interested in licking. Once she does that it might "click" with her.

Check the udder, and you should be able to tell if the calf has indeed nursed. You should see a teat (or multiple teats) that are shiny and smaller than the un-nursed teats. I would give them the better part of the day and re-assess. You want the calf to get colostrum withing 12 hours, the earlier the better.

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hmm. Sounds suspect if she hasn't been cleaned off yet. Some heifers just don't get it. Is #3 a heifer as well? Can't recall.

Try aggie's suggestion with the grain, maybe. Also, if you don't already have powdered colostrum on hand, you should go buy some (just a bag or two) and a calf bottle and nipple. They need all their colostrum within the first 24 hours; after that it's not effective.

If your #3 is doing better in the mothering department, it might be good to separate them but leave them so they can see eachother, rather than separate them totally. #1 just might have no idea what she's doing.

If you see the babe pee and/or poop she probably has had a little something to eat, but if you're really not sure, be prepared to offer colostrum, at least by 12-15 hours old, I'd say.

herfrds

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I like to use a little O-NO-MO (Orphan No More) with first year heifers calves. I know in some places you can't get it.
You sprinkle it on the calf and it helps to get the heifer to accept the calf quicker.

Just keep an eye on them. You will know soon if she has accepted the calf or not. As long as the calf is up and nursing that is good. Some first time mothers do not clean the calf off to well.
Now if the heifer starts kicking the calf away when it tries to nurse there could be 2 possibilities.
One the heifer is rejecting the calf.
Or.
Two the bag is full and tender and needs some relief.
Now if you have to milk her out keep the milk and freeze it in 2c amounts in a ziploc bag. Best stuff to have for a new born calf with no mom.

Had a first year heifer that rejected her calf and tried to kick it to death. Sold the calf to a friends daughter as a bottle calf and the heifer hit the sale ring.

where's the pictures?
I'm dying to see the little calves.

glenolam

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We did sprinkle the calf with grain to try to get the heifer interested, but that didn't work...

But, things got a bit better. They are alone in the barn - the other heifer and her calf are doing well outside and we put up a lean-to for temporary shelter.

This is actually heifer #2 who's having a problem - #1 is the one I thought would calf first and she's doing really well with her bull. All three of our cows are heifers.

We visited our friend down the road and he let us borrow a chute to put #2 in if we needed a place to hold her for nursing. While my husband was getting that, I went to TSC and got all the calf essentials - colostrum, milk replacer, bottle, scour halt, etc.

When I got home, I made the colostrum bottle immediately and we tried to give the calf a bottle - by this time the calf was 4 hours old and we couldn't positively say we saw her get colostrum.

She took less than a pint of the colostrum, but as soon as she pulled away she went right to the heifer and looked for the teat. Now, the heifer moooooooed her brains out while we were bottle feeding and I think she either got jealous or got the hint from the sound of suckling, because she didn't kick the calf away, she actually let her nurse! She switched teats several times (I assume the heifer was really tight and sensitive, because as the calf nursed the heifer seemed in a transe) and nursed for about 8-10 minutes (Yes, I did time it, but lost track during a conversation we were having!).

We left them alone, finished up some other stuff and came back this evening with more colostrum to bottle feed again, just so we were sure the calf got her fair share. The heifer's teats looked shriveled and dry, so we got the calf up (who, by the way, does have tons of energy and is romping around the barn) and she drank about 1/2 - 3/4 pint of colostrum, then headed right towards mom and nursed from her again. We stayed again until we were content, and just left them for the evening.

Tomorrow morning and evening we're going to head out with a bottle of milk just in case.

I'll post pics on my other thread now.

herfrds

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
That's great news.
She accepted the calf. Now the calf switching from teat to teat is fine. It is getting all the milk she is giving.
Now first year heifers are not the best milkers, but as they get older they will milk better until around age 8 then it will either slack off or stay the same.
We have a 13 yo cow that raised a nice calf last year but is not milking too well this year. It just depends upon each animals make up.

glenolam

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We went out this morning and tried to give the calf a bottle again. The heifer is still pushing the calf around, knocking it down, and this morning after the calf had about a pint of milk, she went over to her mom and tried to nurse, but the mother kicked her away and pushed her down. The heifer's teats looked dry and a little shrivled again, but definitely not engorged or full.

We left them together again and figured we'll just assess them when we get home. If the calf is still up and running around, I guess the mother is a "closet" nurser and we should just let them be....if not, then we're going to try plan B....

Here are pics of the gal:

1691_cimg4262.jpg
1691_cimg4270.jpg

herfrds

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Ok if the teats are shrivled then she has been nursed. Sometimes the calf will nurse a lot and the cow will keep them away because they made the bag sore.

Relax and give it a couple of days. Heifers take awhile.

Latest posts