Is My New Pot Belly Pregnant?

rescueblonde

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I adopted a female pot belly pig yesterday. She was picked up by the humane society and when they found her owners, they decided they no longer wanted her so they surrendered her. I'm the resident livestock adopter so I picked her up.

I have very little information on her. All I know is that her previous owners had her for 5 months. She has pretty cloudy eyes (cataracts?). She's chubby and I'm concerned she may be pregnant. She's a little touchy about her stomach and she's a bit moody but otherwise she is very sweet. She's had a lot of stress in the past week which probably hasn't helped. I plan on taking her into the vet to be seen.

Also.. if she does happen to be pregnant, I don't know the first thing about handling a pregnant pig. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!

34osy92.jpg

I have a hard time getting her to stay still for a picture. If there's any different angles that would make it easier to tell just let me know and I'll try my best.

Reactions: TAH

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
She appears to have a milk line coming in. At that stage in pregnancy you'll notice movement I buffet belly. If she was worth an unaltered male she's likely pregnant. Pigs cycle every 21 days. Chances are she was bred by him during one of those cycles.

rescueblonde

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
She appears to have a milk line coming in. At that stage in pregnancy you'll notice movement I buffet belly. If she was worth an unaltered male she's likely pregnant. Pigs cycle every 21 days. Chances are she was bred by him during one of those cycles.

She flopped over for a belly rub last night and I was debating if I was crazy or if I felt something moving. I have no way of knowing if she was with a male or not but I guess time will tell! If she has a milk line coming in, if you had to make a wild guess, how much longer until she gives birth?

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
Could be 1-2 weeks.

When she fills up completely and starts discharging, you've got 24-48 hours.

She will likely go off of food, start building a nest, become fond of a certain spot, and more in the days prior. Pigs like building nests.

rescueblonde

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
5l9z7n.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong but is this a pregnancy indicator? I've been Googling all day and decided to check and see if she had one and I think this is it.

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes. The swelling, formation of teats, and swayed back are pregnancy indicators in potbellies.

rescueblonde

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yes. The swelling, formation of teats, and swayed back are pregnancy indicators in potbellies.

I was aiming more towards the little point sticking up at the bottom of the vulva. In all the pictures I've seen of pregnant pigs, they all had this whereas non-pregnant ones did not. Oh boy! So should I be expecting piglets in the next few days then?

rescueblonde

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
That doesn't work on potbellies and many random pigs.

The milkline means she's definitely pregnant and could give birth in a week or 6wks.

Wow, crazy. Thank you for your input! I've never dealt with a pregnant pig before. What things should I have on hand while she's pregnant and for when she gives birth? Should I be feeding her anything different?

Latest posts