Is my rabbit growling at me?

chickenwhisperer

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
So, new to this site but a member on BYC . . .
I just recently acquired 8 rabbits that came with a cage I need for my poultry . . .
I am trying to sell the rabbits, but want them to be well-taken-care-of, while in my possesion . . .
There are 2 moms with older weaned babies, and a dad.

When I go to feed one of the females, she lets out this kinda growl or rough purring sound, doesnt sound friendly.
Ive never noticed a noise like this from pet rabits Ive encountered before.

None of the others do it.

The rabbits are in 1 big cage that is separated into compartments, the dad is by himself, and the moms each have their babies in with them.

Does anybody want to buy some rabbits for really cheap???
Sac, Ca . . .

dbunni

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Breed her! She is probably in season ...

dipence71

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
SO you wanted the cage for your chickens and the rabbits came along for free LOL...
What kind of rabbits are they?
Where r u located
How many babies does each doe have?
How old are the babies?

Depending on what they are and where you are, you could possibly sell them on craigs list.

And if she is growling she doesn't like you in her territory so be careful and wear gloves when taking care of her so you don't get bit or clawed because believe me it HURTS... I have 6 adults and 4 babies...And always looking for more hehehe, they are almost as addictive as chickens...

Pioneer Chicken

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
And always looking for more hehehe, they are almost as addictive as chickens...
I agree! I do the same thing. :D

She could be bred or she might be wanting to be bred. Try selling them on Craigslist.

Shiloh Acres

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have a young NZW doe that hasn't been bred yet that growls and gets VERY exciteable periodically. She is housed next to a buck. I'm pretty sure her growling is a desire to be bred. I'm just waiting until the weather cools a bit. Looking forward to seeing her kits. She was a bit of an unknown when I bought her but she is growing to be a VERY large doe.

chickenwhisperer

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have found homes for couple of the smaller ones, but I think Imma be stuck with the adults and the rest of their youngsters.
I also just rescued 2 momma rabbits that were dumped while prego and had babies.
A girl captured them and I took them in.

This one female I posted about is the only one that growls at me.
Its been a couple weeks, and it has gotten less intense but she still isnt nice like ALL my others.
She even chases her 2 youngsters around their cage and growls at them.(I have seen no actual damage done to them)

I think I need to separate her from the others, but I want to try her in my idea of a female-only hutch, maybe that will calm her down, hopefully she wont fight with others.

I am in Sacramento, Ca . . . come and get em!!!
PLEASE!!!
I want to find good homes for them, I have been workin CL and got 2 outta here.

ETA:
I have no idea what kind of rabbits they are, prolly backyard mixed!
There are some black ones, some butterscotch ones, a couple wild-colored, and some multi-colored.
There are ones with blue eyes, ones with dark eyes, and ones with reddish eyes.
They all have different textures to their coats and, of course, the ones that got adopted were the cutest fuzzy lion-head/angora type(I dont know a whole lot about rabbits beyond basic care but I guess I should start learning this stuff).

My favorite is the big butterscotch male and his similarly colored son/daughter(dad has dark eyes, offspring has blue).

How do I tell girls from boys???
(I know the parents genders, Im talking the youngsters)

a7736100

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Be extra careful with hungry rabbits. I've been bitten many times when I was late with their grub. Even been bitten by the sweetest ones.

jas

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have a dutch buck who does the same growling thing. He has never bit anyone. I always thought he did it when he was excited.

chickenwhisperer

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Alas, the growlin female found a great home with a nice lady who she immediatley "took to".
No fuss, no growling, they are great friends now and she emailed and thanked me for such a wonderful rabbit . . .

Go figure :rolleyes: