Is my rooster sneezing, coughing or?

DeEtta

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My new Rooster is making a strange noise. It can happen while he's eating, right after he crows or anytime really. I though it was gapeworm but he doesn't stretch his neck or have trouble swallowing. I posted u- tube links for you to hear him. Anyone know what this is.

I've given him a dose of VetRx, about 3 drops. It doesn't seem as frequent. I have oregano and DE mixed in with their feed. Any other suggestions.
Thanks

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I can't get the videos to play for me.

:idunno

I am not excited about DE as a supplement. I do not see it as the cure all it is marketed as.

Feel him up... does he have good flesh on his keel?

Is he active? Full crop at night and empty crop in the morning?

DeEtta

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I can't get the videos to play for me.

I am not excited about DE as a supplement. I do not see it as the cure all it is marketed as.

Feel him up... does he have good flesh on his keel?

Is he active? Full crop at night and empty crop in the morning?
Thank you for trying. Since they played back for me I was hoping you can access them. But in my post it's different.

DE, ok. Didn't seem to do anything anyway and I use it for dust bath with sand.

He is a normal busy rooster. Crowing all day. Running with the girls in the field. Doing good duty as a rooster, watching over them. Eats great, drinks fine. I will check his crop tonight to see if it's full. And yes, he had good meat on his keel. That's why I'm baffled at this sound. He calls for his girls with normal calls. This sound is not that.

Thank you

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Maybe he's trying a second language 🤣🤣🤷. They do have different sounds for different things. Hope he's ok.

DeEtta

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
🤣🤣🤣
Were you able to play the videos?

Dont forget to give us a crop update. :pop
Ok, so I forgot to just now. Soooo, what am I feeling? I felt his throat up high under the beak. It was soft. Not sure what is supposed to feel like, my first time feeling the crop. I also felt the girls and everyone feels the same. I must be doing something wrong.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
At the base of the neck, where it joins the body, is where the crop is.

At night when they go to roost the crop is full. It feels like a balloon full of pellets.. or whatever they have been eating.

Then all night they digest, and in the morning the crop is empty.

However... if he is good in other ways... active, etc. Then i would ignore odd noises.

DeEtta

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I found it. Now I know what it is supposed to feel like. It's full. I double check by checking one of my girls. All is well in that area.

With him having no other issues I'll just call it s sneeze.

thank you for your help
At the base of the neck, where it joins the body, is where the crop is.

At night when they go to roost the crop is full. It feels like a balloon full of pellets.. or whatever they have been eating.

Then all night they digest, and in the morning the crop is empty.

However... if he is good in other ways... active, etc. Then i would ignore odd noises.