Is my wethers a buck?

Wild Bug Ranch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have a Nigerian Dwarf wether baby who got wethered using a new method. His balls are growing and they are supposed to shrink. Did the method not work and he is a buck? How do I know? I can do pictures if needed to

Wild Bug Ranch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
About 2 weeks ago and I don't know the method, it wasn't banding though.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Maybe they used a Burdizzo...it's a clamp like instrument that is supposed to sever the spermatic cord and blood vessels leading to the testicles which causes them to shrivel up within the scrotum. If the person applying the clamps isn't pretty experienced there can be a high failure rate.

The Burdizzo method isn't necessarily new, but I don't think it's as common as a surgical castration or a banding. If it wasn't done correctly your "wether" may certainly be a buckling.

Burdizzo method

The Burdizzo (emasculatome) crushes the spermatic cord and stops the blood supply to the testes. Without this blood supply, the testicles atrophy (shrivel up) but the scrotum remains intact. It is a bloodless technique and less painful than surgical castration. The ideal age for this procedure is up to12 weeks in order to be able to identify the spermatic corn on palpation. This method must be used if an adult Angora goat needs to be castrated.

As with other castration methods tetanus and pain relief must be covered. An appropriate sized burdizzo must be used (not a cattle burdizzo)

The method may also be less reliable due to the difficulty in identifying the spermatic cords.

Wild Bug Ranch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Maybe they used a Burdizzo...it's a clamp like instrument that is supposed to sever the spermatic cord and blood vessels leading to the testicles which causes them to shrivel up within the scrotum. If the person applying the clamps isn't pretty experienced there can be a high failure rate.

The Burdizzo method isn't necessarily new, but I don't think it's as common as a surgical castration or a banding. If it wasn't done correctly your "wether" may certainly be a buckling.

Burdizzo method

The Burdizzo (emasculatome) crushes the spermatic cord and stops the blood supply to the testes. Without this blood supply, the testicles atrophy (shrivel up) but the scrotum remains intact. It is a bloodless technique and less painful than surgical castration. The ideal age for this procedure is up to12 weeks in order to be able to identify the spermatic corn on palpation. This method must be used if an adult Angora goat needs to be castrated.

As with other castration methods tetanus and pain relief must be covered. An appropriate sized burdizzo must be used (not a cattle burdizzo)

The method may also be less reliable due to the difficulty in identifying the spermatic cords.
No the lady who did it was experienced, it was the lady from Kickapoo creek! I don't know what it's called but when I do i will let you know!

chickens really

Herd Master
Reaction score
Call the lady back and discuss the procedure with her. She will let you know what was done and what the process should look like. Good luck!