Is SafeGuard wormer safe for my pregnant doe?

Susyr22

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi, I checked on my Doe today who is Due in March. Her membranes under her eyes were a bit pale. I've been told by a friend to use SafeGuard horse wormer in a tube to worm her. Is this really safe? And how much should I give her? Not sure of her exact weight, but I know She weighs over 100 pounds.

Thanks so much!

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
Before you worm, do a fecal. You know nothing at all and have no clue as to what she has and what wormer to use without first doing a fecal. For example, the FAMACHA method, the one you are using for her eyes there, tells you only about the Barberpole worm and the load there. Well SafeGuard isn't going to treat the Barberpole worm so you would do no good in that case. You must do a fecal to tell if she needs wormed and what she needs wormed with.

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
Straw Hat Kikos said:
before you worm do a fecal. You know nothing at all and have no clue what she has and what wormer to use without first doing a fecal. For example, the FAMACHA method, the one you are using for her eyes there, tells you only about the Barberpole worm and he load there. Well SafeGuard isn't going to treat Barberpole worm so you would do no good in that case. You must do a fecal to tell is she needs wormed, what she needs wormed with.
x2

Susyr22

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! I'm actually heading into my vets tomorrow. So I will take a fecal in for her.

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
Awesome! That will tell you what you have in there, if anything. After you get word on what showed up come here and let us know before you worm. That way we can help to better determine what you need to worm with.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Susyr22 said:
Thanks for the info! I'm actually heading into my vets tomorrow. So I will take a fecal in for her.
Your vet could probably tell you what's best.

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
OneFineAcre said:
Susyr22 said:
Your vet could probably tell you what's best.
Yeah...most of the time. But I've seen even vets be way off and give out wormers or things that DO NOT help or even work so to be safe come back here and let us know what she has. ;)

greenfamilyfarms

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Safeguard is a really ineffective wormer around here. We only use it if we know the goat has tapeworms since it does work on them. You may want to ask for an alternative such as Ivomec Plus. Valbazen is good, but NOT for pregnant does.

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
Yep. In most places in the US SafeGuard does NOT work. That's really good it works for you at least on Tapes. I use it on Tape too and it seems to work great for the Tape here still.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Safeguard for horses is totally ineffective for goats. Their stomach construction is completely different. They absorb medications totally different.

Beyond that, every farm is a different situation.

Not knowing how many goats you have, how much pasture, and how much you can rotate your pasture, no one would be able to give you definitive advice on what worming regimen you should pursue.

If your veterinarian has good experience with small ruminants, I'd take their advice first. If they don't, I'd try to find a new vet.

Latest posts