Is SafeGuard wormer safe for my pregnant doe?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
OneFineAcre said:
If your veterinarian has good experience with small ruminants, I'd take their advice first. If they don't, I'd try to find a new vet.
I agree. If your vet is not a goat -vet find one.

We had a farm call KNOWING we had goats, that's what they came out for (we do physical exams on all new animals while in quarantine). The vet they sent WAS NOT a goat experienced vet. It was not a good experience. The vet had no idea what they were doing. I of course still ended up with a whopping by the hour bill just to end up having another vet check all the animals. It caused so much stress.

Hipshot

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Rather than start another thread . I will ask my question .And hope some one responds with the answer .I feel a little frustrated sometimes like I'm talking to a used car salesman, here and on other sites as well . I would like to point out that the question" Is safeguard dewormer safe for a pregnant doe ? "that was asked was never answered . Although helpful the replies did not answer the direct question . So with out all the fecal advice, and finding a good goat vet advice . Is safeguard safe to use on a pregnant doe ? A simple yes or no will do .All the other dewormers that I find for goats say don't give to a pregnant doe .:idunno So if the answer is no, then what would you recommend using on a pregnant doe ? Knew a man once that would tube worm his high dollar race horses, with a once of pesticide . Said the worms came running out :lol: I'm close to using it on goats :idunno

Hipshot

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have used it without issue in pregnant goats. I believe when I used it the does were about a month out from kidding.
Thank you . I gave the doe a dose this evening . I fear I've gotten myself in a mess. I bought 8 Boer cross does. One is down in the trailer . She went down on the trip home .Had her on corid for two days and today safeguard . she is eating and drinking just isn't getting up. They are all malnourished and look awful. All are supposed to be bred some are just to young to be kidding . One of the young does kidded two still born kids today. The lady I got them from is using a walker and just could not care for them . I knew if I didn't take them they would die one by one . They need to be on a intensive feeding program . Can't put them with my flock yet only had them a couple of days . They need green grass and it'll be a few days before I can get them there. Right now they have plenty of hay and water and I'm feeding them as much feed as they will clean up in a feeding. I need to do fecal floats on them. For now it seems like deworming for all possible infestations is the wise thing to do .So tomorrow I intend to dose all of them with safe guard and Ivermectin. I have a dosage for using injectable Ivermectin orally . I have no ideal of their treatment history. I figure I'm either going to cure them or kill them .And my wife is upset with me for bringing them here:idunno Our other goats are fat and healthy . Surely I can get the healthy again .:fl:fl:fl

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
What dose are you using? How many days are you giving it?

We give Safeguard at 1cc per 10lbs (per our vet) for 3 days. 5 days if the goat has a higher load.

I believe corrid needs to be given for a minimum of 5 days, but not sure. I haven't used it before.

I would be watching for pregnancy toxemia big time. Poor girls sound like they are in rough shape.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you . I gave the doe a dose this evening . I fear I've gotten myself in a mess. I bought 8 Boer cross does. One is down in the trailer . She went down on the trip home .Had her on corid for two days and today safeguard . she is eating and drinking just isn't getting up. They are all malnourished and look awful. All are supposed to be bred some are just to young to be kidding . One of the young does kidded two still born kids today. The lady I got them from is using a walker and just could not care for them . I knew if I didn't take them they would die one by one . They need to be on a intensive feeding program . Can't put them with my flock yet only had them a couple of days . They need green grass and it'll be a few days before I can get them there. Right now they have plenty of hay and water and I'm feeding them as much feed as they will clean up in a feeding. I need to do fecal floats on them. For now it seems like deworming for all possible infestations is the wise thing to do .So tomorrow I intend to dose all of them with safe guard and Ivermectin. I have a dosage for using injectable Ivermectin orally . I have no ideal of their treatment history. I figure I'm either going to cure them or kill them .And my wife is upset with me for bringing them here:idunno Our other goats are fat and healthy . Surely I can get the healthy again .:fl:fl:fl

I would go slower on the feed or you risk acidosis. Do you happen to know any fecal counts (EPG eggs per gram) this will tell you more about type of worm and efficacy of the dewormer you are using. If extremely high loads I do not follow the normal protocol as it tends to kill goats. Wise to not put them together with your goats. Quarantine at least 30 days/ 60 days sounds better in this case. Meanwhile draw blood send it out and check disease status. The last thing you want is CL, Johnes or CAE infecting your goats.

I agree with @Goat Whisperer - watch for toxemia. Sounds like they also need vitamin support. Do you have a vet you can work with? You also want to make sure disease isn't causing abortion.

Hipshot

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
New development. The largest doe kidded twin doelings today. They seem to be doing OK .
What dose are you using? How many days are you giving it?

We give Safeguard at 1cc per 10lbs (per our vet) for 3 days. 5 days if the goat has a higher load.

I believe corrid needs to be given for a minimum of 5 days, but not sure. I haven't used it before.

I would be watching for pregnancy toxemia big time. Poor girls sound like they are in rough shape.
I only dosed the one that is still down .Going by the label. Corid is for her weight 20 CCs . I use CO-OP medicated feed too. Setting up today to treat them all and the doe kidded.

I would go slower on the feed or you risk acidosis. Do you happen to know any fecal counts (EPG eggs per gram) this will tell you more about type of worm and efficacy of the dewormer you are using. If extremely high loads I do not follow the normal protocol as it tends to kill goats. Wise to not put them together with your goats. Quarantine at least 30 days/ 60 days sounds better in this case. Meanwhile draw blood send it out and check disease status. The last thing you want is CL, Johnes or CAE infecting your goats.

I agree with @Goat Whisperer - watch for toxemia. Sounds like they also need vitamin support. Do you have a vet you can work with? You also want to make sure disease isn't causing abortion.
Thank you . I should have thought all of those things. To be honest I haven't even thought about blood disease. The only vet I know that will do goats is 60 miles away .And will not do farm calls . I heard of one closer but haven't been able to find a number for her. Blood work will have to wait till after new years . I've spent so much money on them already . Wife not happy at all .

You bought these with your heart, didn't you? For their sake, and yours, I hope you can nurse them back to health. If they die, it won't be from lack of care on your part.
I really did .I went and looked at them and the price was average .Would have been fine if they were in good shape .I was looking for mature does, in good health and good size .Told them they need feed and medical attention . I just knew they were being neglected .It wasn't intentional but still. And I could not get them off my mind . Even bought to nice looking older doe's bred to a dappled Boer . That made it worse . So I went back and got them . I have a rule that I apply to livestock purchases .Simple rule, I try not to pay more than I can pound it out for at a livestock sale barn. I offered what I that that was and she took it . So now I have my hands full. Tomorrow I hope to treat them all, worked hard toward that today .:th

Last edited:

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hang in there Hipshot, some one needed to try to save them, I would of brought them home too....all you can do is your best....you sound like a kind person, wishing you much luck with them:love