Is she preggo?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well I have to chime in. I breed,show and groom dogs. It is hard for even an experienced breeder to tell if a dog is pregnant in the first4 weeks. Dogs go through the same hormonal changes wether they are pregnant or not. We call it a false pregnancy. I have been fooled many times. The only sure way is to go in for an ultrasound at 4 weeks. And even that is not foolproof.
That is what I had mentioned early ... I have abitch that has had false pregnancies her whole life and never been bred. Some believe that because of this she should be spayed... Although for most dogs I would agree however this dog is NOt an ideal candidate for such.
False pregnancies are very common.
Generally we do checks between 5-6 weeks. None of the vets bother at 4 weeks. Personally I like the 6 week check.

mustangrooster

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I hope she has a smooth, easy birth (if indeed she is pregnant)!

Thank you! Me too.

Mustang rooster. You are welcome to pm me or ask any questions. Once I know for sure my dog is pregnant I gradually up theirs food.

Thanks!

I really appreciate all this help everyone. Starting to put together the whelping kit, and the whelping box, just to be prepared. But I'm also prepared for a false pregnancy.

Latest posts