Is she pregnant?

Goatgirl47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Sage started developing an udder 2-3 weeks ago. I know sometimes goats can have a precocious udder, but I think that she is pregnant. Her udder is about the size of a baseball. What do you think?

Pictures from the last couple days:

IMG_0626.JPG

IMG_1684.JPG

FullSizeRender 11.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0376.JPG
    IMG_0376.JPG
    297.8 KB · Views: 72

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
She looks like my saanan Nubian doe did with a precocious udder but she hadn't been exposed to a buck at all do we knew it wasn't that. Hard to tell without a solid sewn bred by date. Has a buck covered her that you've seen?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
:idunno sorry... just got my goats, one 2 weeks post delivery and another ~2 weeks pre-delivery... I don't really see udder development :hide and she doesn't look pregnant to me from body appearance... Of course she could be 2 months along and it wouldn't show...:hu As Sam asked... was she with a buck at all? Is there any chance that she might be pregnant?

Goatgirl47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@Latestarter - there is a lot of udder development actually. If she is pregnant I think she would be around 4 months bred, and Saanen goats are seasonal breeders so she's probably not less than 3 months bred (assuming she is bred).

We've never seen a buck cover Sage. We bought her back in mid January, and after we recently saw she was developing an udder I asked the breeder we got her from about it, and she said that she never put our two does in with her bucks (nor did the bucks jump the fence that she knew of), but her bucks could have very well have bred her (Sage) through the fence. I saw a picture of the bucks' fencing and the squares are considerably big. She also said that the buckling we got from her as well (he was then 4-months-old) could have bred her, but I never saw any mounting although Verity (a Lamancha doe we got with Sage) was in heat the day we brought them home, but Cap was never interested in either of them that I saw - and we are out there a lot.

Here is an udder picture of Verity, the Lamancha who is the same age as Sage - she is not bred:
http://s1313.photobucket.com/user/donnaclyde/media/IMG_1270_zpsaoe7xouk.jpg.html] [/URL]
And a better picture of Sage's belly:

Goatgirl47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
And @Latestarter - I wasn't aware that you got goats! Congratulations! :clap What breed are they?

ETA, just saw you got Lamanchas. They are beautiful!

Last edited:

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
looks like she has a little 'starter kit' to me. if I was a guessing kind of gal I would say she probably bred but still has quite a ways to go. in my experience if a doe has a precocious udder one side of it will be bigger than the other. interesting to watch. be sure to keep us updated.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
She does look like she could be bred based on the udder pics. As @goatgurl said it looks like a "starter kit".
Our yearling lamancha doe is due June 10th and has an udder right around that size. Of course every doe is different and your girl might not go BOOM until the day she kids.

:hide I hate to be the "bad guy" but she looks very thin. :hide How old is she?
You might want to get her fecal checked and up her feed. How much feed is she on now?