Is there a non-electric temporary/semi-permanent sheep fencing?

MoreAU

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Put up a woven wire fence, just don’t stretch it. T-post it, don’t stretch it and when you take it down, use it elsewhere and stretch it tight.
I second the woven wire fence (and the cattle panels too, but if you can't get them.... ) . I use Woven Wire Field Fence for lots of things.

One off-label use is for patching dug out or uneven ground areas under a long stretch of fence. This fence bends on the woven wire, so it "folds" top to bottom easily. Imagine a long field fence line with wash outs in places so the sheep & goats can just push under it. Now take a section of this woven field fence and attach the top of new fence piece to the bottom foot or so of the existing fence, and let the other few feet just lay out on the ground. It will only be a short time before this fence becomes part of the ground and no amount of digging will manage to dig under it because they're trying to dig through the fence itself.

It also makes a great cucumber trellis or tomato cages in the garden.

I can imagine it would be easy enough to make a temporary or even portable fence with this an some t-posts or some homemade rock jacks.

SpotTheCat

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I second the woven wire fence (and the cattle panels too, but if you can't get them.... ) . I use Woven Wire Field Fence for lots of things.

One off-label use is for patching dug out or uneven ground areas under a long stretch of fence. This fence bends on the woven wire, so it "folds" top to bottom easily. Imagine a long field fence line with wash outs in places so the sheep & goats can just push under it. Now take a section of this woven field fence and attach the top of new fence piece to the bottom foot or so of the existing fence, and let the other few feet just lay out on the ground. It will only be a short time before this fence becomes part of the ground and no amount of digging will manage to dig under it because they're trying to dig through the fence itself.

It also makes a great cucumber trellis or tomato cages in the garden.

I can imagine it would be easy enough to make a temporary or even portable fence with this an some t-posts or some homemade rock jacks.
Thank you!

SpotTheCat

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
You're welcome Spot. Be sure to show or let us know what you decided and how it worked out!
;)
I will! At the moment it looks like it will have to be electric fencing. I am struggling to find T-post :he apparently people in the uk don’t really use them, other then the plastic posts for electric fencing

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
You can use something like concrete reinforcing rods for posts instead of plastic. The "slide on" electric fence insulators can be used if you are going with strands of wire. Don't know what is available there so it is hard to suggest things. No matter where you are or what you are doing, in the past 1-2 years the costs of ANY kind of fencing has gone sky high.