Is there another cheap sprout alternative to BOSS?

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So I wanted to ask if there was another cheap alternative to black oil sunflower seeds as sprouts? (Not fed as seeds. I'm feeding as sprouts.)

I like some things about BOSS sprouts. One of the big wins with them is that I can take a bag of 40 lbs of them from the store for about 16 bucks. This is very economical when trying to turn 1 pound of feed into 4 pounds of feed.

However, there are some disadvantages also; and the disadvantages are hard to manage. BOSS is very easy to turn into a mess from rot if there's not good enough drainage, etc. Mold gets in there easy in the sprouting phase.

It also seems like its so slow and that I'm fighting for every batch of sprouts. This is why its discouraging and I would like to know if there's another alternative to them that can be used? Please help with advise on this!

Also, I'm using these for mostly ducks, but also some rabbits. Although I feed the rabbits mostly pellets, and at least half the duck feed is actually the normal feed. (But I would increase the percentage if I could get a better alternative... to a point.)

I like saving money on feed with boss. But I am quite worried about how how fast its going for my flock size. And storing in a backyard means I have to find a fine balance between saving space but not being without some safety margin on feed storage also.

(Also isn't it weird that people think and are absolutely sure that feed storage for animals is absolutely necessary, but not for people? And they even laugh at doing it for people all while doing all they can for their herds.)

I'm hoping there's an alternative with similar cost. (I doubt there's anything with a bulk cheaper price...?)

Latest posts