1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. BYH Featured Thread: Unstable sheep
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. 2017 BYC Calendar SUPER SALE!
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Is there any profit?

Discussion in 'Natural and Organic Husbandry' started by happyharvester, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Jan 29, 2013
    happyharvester

happyharvester Just born

Hi, I'm new to the forum. Would really like to begin changing over from 'conventional' to organic foods for the animals. Our way of keeping the farm~animals and gardens ~has been organically based, except for the commercial foods. Never had a supplier in the area. I recently found a supplier, got prices, :ep! Almost double what we pay for commercial feeds!! My question is~if any of you have experience with this~ will we make ANY money selling meat animals and veggies? Small farm, right now only 3 ewes due to lamb within a couple weeks, egg chickens (meat chicks coming) and vegetable garden. Upstate/Central Ny is our location.

2. Jan 29, 2013
    CrazyFlocksters

CrazyFlocksters Chillin' with the herd

As far as the lambs go, here in Ky, if you sell your lambs as grass fed, no meds, you can get alittle higher price, but I personally don't think it's worth the hassle.

3. Jan 29, 2013
    WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Loving the herd life

If your organic feed is twice as much you'll have to raise your prices to twice as much. Estimate and then figure out if your area will pay those kinds of prices.

4. Jan 30, 2013
    Bossroo

Bossroo True BYH Addict

I, for one, will NOT pay the inflated prices for the so called "organic" hype !!! :barnie

5. Jan 30, 2013
    Southern by choice

Southern by choice Herd Master

Elevan wrote this when this sectioned was opened....

To the op... yes, it is profitable but you will have to find your market. There are many people looking for these kinds of food products and sometimes it can be hard to find. Our area has lots of farmers markets and co-ops but not always organic foods.

I am ultra sensitive to meats and eggs.... unless I raise it myself or we hunt it I can't eat it. People diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and other immune disorders are doing very well on adjusted diets, the biggest problem is the cost. See if you can find others in your area doing this kind of husbandry. When groups get together and can buy in bulk often the cost is reduced.

6. Jan 30, 2013
    goodolboy

goodolboy Ridin' The Range

Just to add, we do raise our own meat a little differant than our registered flock. No meds and grass feed as much as possible. We really try to watch what we put on the table and it has paid off in our health. Organic is deffinatly the way to go, just not sure how to make it profitable on a large scale.

7. Jan 30, 2013
    BrownSheep

BrownSheep Lost in the flock

If your able to produce or own feed maybe. Since youll be purchasing it I would say probable not.

Also depends on your area. I live in a rural area who for the most part wouldn't pay that much. How ever if I drove an 1. Hours to the resort town I probably wouldn't have a problem.

8. Jan 30, 2013
    PotterWatch

PotterWatch Overrun with beasties

If you can find the right market, you can make money. You just have to find out what that market will bear. Last year we increased our chicken production dramatically, only to find that we couldn't sell it all. We have since scaled our chicken back and added lamb. We have a CSA program where people get a box once a month or once every other month that has chicken, beef, and lamb. The most expensive part for us is the cost of slaughtering the beef through a USDA facility. The logistics of that can be a hassle. The lamb we only do through a state-inspected facility because people buy half a lamb when they sign up for the program so we are able to have a lamb done for every two people who sign up and just dole theirs out to them along the way. The only feed we buy is for the chickens. We pay about $32 for a 50lb bag of organic starter/grower.

9. Dec 22, 2013
    Beekissed

Beekissed True BYH Addict

You can ferment that chicken feed and it can cut costs almost in half on each bag of feed, so that's a consideration....it can make that $32 bag look a lot less exorbitant.

10. Dec 22, 2013
    bonbean01

bonbean01 Herd Master

Beekissed...ferment the chicken feed? This is new to me, but I'm always happy to learn new methods...more info please?