Is this a good guardian ** Newfoundland

Grazer

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
treeclimber233 said:
I agree with "getting one that is bred to do what you want it to do". LGD are bred to WANT to stay with the animals. It was very humbling to learn my GP was more worried about the animals at the barn than he was about me. Even as a small puppy if I brought him up to the house he would only stay a little while and then WANT to go back to the barn. Most people want a dog to think the human is the center of its universe. LGD's do not think like that. While they enjoy their humans coming to the barn they want to be at the barn. I would think a Newfi would WANT to be with the humans more than with the animals at the barn once the human leaves. Even tho they look a lot alike, they have been bred for different reasons. Just my two cents......
Yes I completely agree with you.
Based on my experience with both LGD and non-LGD breeds, I have to say what a difference it makes when one gets a well bred LGD.
It just comes natural to them to guard anything you trust them with, but they also guard their people and the property.
It's like they know exactly what you expect from them.

Tali

Herd lurker
Reaction score
Newfies are great dogs. Can they be good life Stock dogs? Our Violeta is very alert, anything that comes inside our fence doesnt make it out. We have two cats and they get along, the only issue is Violeta is Young and the cats are older than dirt. They are extremely loyal dogs, but not viscious, also they prefer cold weather and water. So while they might be good for protecting your chickens etc, if you dont have a Pond Where they can swim or you live Where it us usually hot; I would not recommend. We live in Ohio - in the summer she sleeps inside in the Air Conditioning, in the winter she is oustide all say no matter how cold it is, but she does come in for the night, mostly because she wants to be with the herd. We also have a German Sheperd, they are like husband and wife. I have had five dogs, our Newfie is by far the biggest character we have had. They are very smart, so you need to understand they can actually outsmart you. At the end of the day a great dog to watch your life Stock.

Jkeeler

Just born
Reaction score
Yes I completely agree with you.
Based on my experience with both LGD and non-LGD breeds, I have to say what a difference it makes when one gets a well bred LGD.
It just comes natural to them to guard anything you trust them with, but they also guard their people and the property.
It's like they know exactly what you expect from them.
I prefer Maremma Sheepdogs. They stay with the livestock and don’t wonder much, and will protect when needed. They love their human family also. Weary of strangers like they should be.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I prefer Maremma Sheepdogs. They stay with the livestock and don’t wonder much, and will protect when needed. They love their human family also. Weary of strangers like they should be.
Welcome to the forum!