Is This A Sign That My Doe Was Bred? and worming Q

pridegoethb4thefall

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Just brought my doe home from a month away with a buck. The keepers said they saw him chasing her, blubbering at her, and acting like she was in heat. She was not in heat when I brought her there. Buck is proven and this would be a 4th freshening for my doe.

They noticed her having a 'wet' behind, and today I saw a bit of white goo on her vulva. They said they noticed the behavior 'about a week ago' (could be off by a few days, no problem for me), but does the white goo mean she might have been bred? She never had that before she was brought over there.

Opinions?

Also, she seems to have lost some weight from running around over there, what should I feed to bring her back up to where I like her?

Can I worm her this soon after breeding? She came home with another (new to us) doe who is definatley bred, and I want to worm her too. Should I?

Thanks!!

pridegoethb4thefall

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I use Ivomec injectable to worm all the goats and the 1 sheep we have.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
You can go ahead and worm them.

The white goo could be from being bred or she is in heat. Hard to say for sure.

pridegoethb4thefall

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
ksalvagno said:
You can go ahead and worm them.

The white goo could be from being bred or she is in heat. Hard to say for sure.
Shoot. I think I recall her seeming to be in heat about a week or so before i took her to the buck. She went over there July 28th, came home on August 19th. I dont think she was there long enough :( 21 days total. They did say they noticed her having a wet behind/tail hair dampness during that week she was being pursued.

How long does the goo come out for?

They said she was acting in heat about a week ago from when I brought her home. She has dropped some weight, they said it was from running from the buck while she was in heat and coming out of heat. They told me he was blubbering at her and acting generally romantic towards her.

I have just a sneaky feeling we brought her home just a few days too early and now its too late to catch her for this heat.

Guess Ill be posting pooch pictures of her again soon...

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Just because a male breeds her, doesn't mean she will guaranteed become pregnant. But I would keep track of her heats and figure out what her cycle is.

Mf628

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
A doe that runs from a buck is not in standing heat. I've seen does plant their rear end up to a fence for hours in the direction of a buck. The white goo doesn't sound like it is from a heat - it normally isn't described as being thick, just a white colored mucus. The goo could have been semen from the buck, but that doesn't mean she was in heat at the time the buck bred her. Your best bet is to watch her to see if she comes back into heat or wait to do a blood sample on her. If she comes back into heat or the test results say she is open, then bring her back to the buck owner. If you paid for the service, demand a rebreed since the job was obviously not done correctly. If it was a friend who generously bred your doe, then bake them a pie and hope they will be willing to do it again ;):lol:

Latest posts