1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hoof trimming help - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Is This Bumblefoot?

Discussion in 'Chickens' started by chippy99th, May 15, 2017.

1. May 15, 2017
    chippy99th

chippy99th Exploring the pasture

Would be posting this on BYC if it were an option! Oh well.

I've treated bumblefoot before, but this is a little different. It's my one-legged rooster. He's got a scab on his stump that looks like it might be bumblefoot, might not be. It's not a round "plug," and there's no swelling...It really looks like a sore, but I want another opinion.

[​IMG]

He uses the stump more than you'd think for propping himself up. Whether it's a sore or bumblefoot, any suggestions on treating it? It's kind of an awkward spot. I'm thinking a bandage might help for padding, but I don't know if he'll tolerate it. He's not in pain. I just don't want it to get worse.

Surprisingly, no such sores on his actual foot, although he's got some pretty gnarly calluses.

2. May 15, 2017
    Dozclan12

Dozclan12 Loving the herd life

Hmm..interesting. I would treat it like bumble foot..and get that off. Has to be hard for him to walk with that on there. It may be a real infected bumble foot. I would cut it out.

3. May 16, 2017
    wynn4578

wynn4578 Chillin' with the herd

I would soak it and treat it like bumble foot. But I wouldn't cut on it at this point until you get a better idea what's going on with it. It may require surgery if there is a core or thorn or splinter of some sort but starting off I would just soak it and put him somewhere clean. Try to wrap it after you clean and treat but usually he will figure out how to get the wrap off.