Is this coccidia? UPDATE on fecals- HIGH STRANGENESS.... PLEASE LOOK

Pixie Dust

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

Scouring doe. Took fecal to vet, came bag negative. Did my own fecal and this is what I got. Pushed 5 cc's of Safeguard and 3/4 of a Sulmet Oblet as a drench mixed with enough CPK to dilute. Also drenched 2 cc's of red cell and pro-bios.

8346_fecal_126.jpg
[/url]/img]

Doe is shivering a bit. Not completely off feed. Still has plenty of energy. Just poo ranging from normal to squirty scours. No blood.

Thoughts? Advice?

Thanks so much!

ps( 35 pound doe 22 months old)

edit to add: doe just came off a 3 x 10 day cycle of Equimax.

Edit to add: I found this image on someone's farm site:
8346_coccidia2.jpg
[/url]] Does that look at all like what I took?

Used the standard flotation method for egg collection. Attribution of image to http://www.rattlesnakeridgeranch.com/fecal_exams.htm

Pixie Dust

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thank you so much. I really s**K at doing fecals, still learning and my microscope might actually be too powerful. The minimum magnification is 40X. There is nothing more upsetting than a sick goat. :( Yes fiasco has great advice- I just ordered some of her wormer. Going to try to get them on preventative.

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It is an adult doe, I woudl give her Scour Halt (Scour Chek, Spectomycin) at 1 ml per 10 lbs. It is labeled for pigs but it works wonderfully on scouring goats. Cocci is rarely a serious issue in healthy, adult does.

You can get it at Tractor Supply.

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Pixie Dust said:
Thank you so much. I really s**K at doing fecals, still learning and my microscope might actually be too powerful. The minimum magnification is 40X. There is nothing more upsetting than a sick goat. :( Yes fiasco has great advice- I just ordered some of her wormer. Going to try to get them on preventative.

Actually I think you need to zoom in more, if you look in Fiasco Farms page, the eggs are shown at 100x and 400/410x magnification. See if you can zoom in on just one or two eggs.

DonnaBelle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Adult goats can get coccidia.

I just took a fecal to my vet last Monday, and my doe that kidded two weeks ago, now has a very heavy load of coccidia.

I am giving her DiMethox 40%.

Please make sure you get a correct diagnosis.

DonnaBelle

Pixie Dust

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for such great advice. Pixie's poo seems to be drying up a bit. She's eating and drinking - tail is up, she's talking.... eye lids are getting more red.

Going to do another fecal. That microscope has a camera attached and its tricky to use. I am such a rank amateur. I hope I am not screwing them up. I've had them now for going on two years, but this same phenomenon happened to Pixie just shortly after Bo kidded in May. The vet said negative on worms and cocci, but didn't have the means to test for giardia. He advised me to give her 5 cc's of Safeguard for seven days - it worked relatively well. So I am doing the Safeguard and the Sulmet to cover all the bases. Had really good results with the Equimax, so I am guessing this is not worms.

Again, thanks for all the advice. I'll do another fecal and try to zoom in more. You are all such an amazing resource. Thank you!

Pixie Dust

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi Karen,

In your opinion, what would be the suggested dosage for her weight (35 lbs) - I have the " goats prefer " probiotic paste. Is it possible to overdose probios? Thanks :)

ksalvagno said:
I would give her some Probios daily for a week too. Never hurts to give Probios.