Is this cross would make a good family cow?

Farmerboy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have been looking for a heifer that is due in spring for a few months now. My dad wants a dual type, so we can raise any calves that the cow gives for the freezer, and milk production for us to use.

I found the ad on Craigslist, and would like the expert's opinion on this before getting her.

Thanks for any advice.

The ad-

cow pregnant heifer

She is due to calf for the first time in mid-spring. Beautiful, healthy, well tempered, grassfed guernsey/angus cross. She was weaned naturally. Must sell--moving out of state.

5U15P05X43Me3Lb3H6c19cda927de365d1a6c.jpg

redtailgal

Reaction score
YOu need to find out what she was bred to, what vaccinations she has had, and how she is being fed now (you dont want a hard keeper)

Cricket

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
She is pretty! I would agree with RTG on finding what she's bred to. You don't want a cow with a smallish pelvis bred to a Holstein or something else big. If you're buying her at beef prices, it doesn't seem to me you have a lot to lose unless you have a calving problem, as if she doesn't work out for a milker you can always beef her. It would be worth it to go see her and see if you like her. She won't be apt to let you handle her udder, but you can see if she goes ballistic in a new situation. It takes awhile to build a relationship sometimes. (After your questions on milking shorthorns, I started paying more attention to the ones where I work, and come to find out I really like them a lot. When you're milking a lot of cows, it's the pleasant, mind their own business ones that slip under your radar. Thank you!)

Farmerboy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I finally got hold of the guy again, and he said that she was bred to a Lowline Angus bull, never been vaccinated, and is on just hay, never grain.

That sounds fine to me, but would like your inputs. :)

redtailgal

Reaction score
Sounds like a go to me. I'd buy her, but I wouldnt go much over market prices in your area.

Farmerboy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
He had posted her in January for $1900.00, but now its $1450.00. He is willing to deliver her for $50.00 since its about an hour drive to our place. We will check her out personally before buying her.

Thank you for the help!

BTW RTG, that bull calf that had the lumpy jay is doing fine, and the area where the lump was, is almost smooth. :)

redtailgal

Reaction score
I'm glad to hear about your calf. You did a good job caring for that calf. :thumbsup

Farmerboy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I was in the area this morning, but the owner was not home, but I took some pictures of the heifer. As soon the heifer saw me, she came up to the fence, and I gave her a handful of grass, and she slowly took it, and ate it.

Please let me know what you all think about her.

5723_heifer_002.jpg

5723_heifer_004.jpg

5723_heifer_005.jpg

5723_heifer_006.jpg

redtailgal

Reaction score
Hey there! Been wondering how you and your cows werer doing.

She's not perfect, but if her attitude is good, I think she'd be ok.

Are you planning on milking? Her udder is ok, teats look milkable. I'd see if I could pretend milk her before I bought her. Keep in mind that she's never been trained to milk, so she probably wont stand still for it, but if she starts kicking or goes bat crazy on you, then pass on her and move on to another heifer.

If your not gonna milk, but instead plan to only use her for meat babies, you'll need to be sure to breed her to a meaty dad, as she had a definate dairy look to her, with not much meat.

ALso........she may be wormy. I'd make sure that she is wormed a good 3 days BEFORE you bring her onto your own property.

Farmerboy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!

We plan to have a cow so we can have fresh milk.

Not perfect in what way? I just want to see things in your perspective.
How can you tell if she is wormy?

I will pretend milk her before we buy her.

My dad told me to keep my eyes open for other heifers available before making a final decision. There is a monthly heifer sale at the local auction this Thursday, and they always have about 100 open to freshening heifers. I plan to call the morning of the auction day to see if they have any breeds besides Holsteins. They are all vet checked. They had just Holsteins last time. But, the issue I have with the auctions is, I can't go up to each heifer and pretend milk them to see if they starts kicking or goes bat crazy on me. lol