Is this grain ok?

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
Straw Hat Kikos said:
She's a good looking girl!! Why do want her horns removed? Just wondering.
I'm not Bean but it's a safety issue. Cattle with horns tend to be a bit more dangerous than those without, even if they don't mean it, those horns on that heifer can cause a lot of damage when she's horsing around even if she didn't intend on hurting someone, and can be a bit harry when she's in heat and being a real b#$%@. Unlike goats, it's pretty well optional to let cattle have horns or whether they should be gone.

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
Bean, the grain ration looks alright for her, good for a growing heifer like herself. Like everyone else is saying, don't over-do it cause she's not a slaughter animal, just enough that she's got good condition, but not too much condition that it affects her fertililty/breeding ability.

Also, great to hear she's doing very well! Very happy to hear that. :thumbsup

BeanJeepin

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
WildRoseBeef said:
Straw Hat Kikos said:
I'm not Bean but it's a safety issue. Cattle with horns tend to be a bit more dangerous than those without, even if they don't mean it, those horns on that heifer can cause a lot of damage when she's horsing around even if she didn't intend on hurting someone, and can be a bit harry when she's in heat and being a real b#$%@. Unlike goats, it's pretty well optional to let cattle have horns or whether they should be gone.
She's clearly been taught as she grew to be easy/gentle, but still tosses her head if there's a fly or something bothering her - if one of my children is near, that's fairly dangerous (even though they are being cautious). Even if they're scratching her side if they were doing so lightly and she thought it was a bug and turned her head quickly.... Even without them she's still a 600 lb animal and we will respect that (the kids aren't allowed near her without a gate between them unless carefully, directly supervised and there's strict rules with the gate) but with them there's just that extra danger. And there is the fact she's in with the disbudded goats, not to mention likes to scrape them against things (trees, barn) and tip things using them. Fairly confident it'll be safer and happier for all without them just as soon as we can. We got fly predators that will be released today so hopefully in a month the fly population will be much more under control.

Jean

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
BeanJeepin said:
WildRoseBeef said:
Straw Hat Kikos said:
She's clearly been taught as she grew to be easy/gentle, but still tosses her head if there's a fly or something bothering her - if one of my children is near, that's fairly dangerous (even though they are being cautious). Even if they're scratching her side if they were doing so lightly and she thought it was a bug and turned her head quickly.... Even without them she's still a 600 lb animal and we will respect that (the kids aren't allowed near her without a gate between them unless carefully, directly supervised and there's strict rules with the gate) but with them there's just that extra danger. And there is the fact she's in with the disbudded goats, not to mention likes to scrape them against things (trees, barn) and tip things using them. Fairly confident it'll be safer and happier for all without them just as soon as we can. We got fly predators that will be released today so hopefully in a month the fly population will be much more under control.

Jean
Makes perfect sense, especially because you have kids. : )

Cricket

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Not trying to hijack, but would you post how you make out with your fly predators? I see you are in 'my' climate and I've been curious!

BeanJeepin

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Cricket said:
Not trying to hijack, but would you post how you make out with your fly predators? I see you are in 'my' climate and I've been curious!
Will do, just hung them out today.