1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. 2019 What's up with my bucks hair? - Discussion thread.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Is this Hen sitten properly?

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by Anthony Sr., Sep 20, 2018.

1. Sep 20, 2018
    Anthony Sr.

Anthony Sr. Chillin' with the herd

I have a Hen that only seems to sit on her eggs overnight? There are only 2 egg's now this is Thursday 9/20 is the 4th day of sitting. The other Hen was sitting, till she got frighten off her Egg by a Raccoon (the coon took my 3rd Hen; Yes, I'm Coon hunting!!!) Cannot afford a trap yet.
    My main question is, it normal/ok for those eggs and will they hatch? I'm not counting 2 chickens for the 2 eggs and really not even one, since I'm not sure about this behavior of the Hen?
    I was asked if I had a Rooster =
    I am sorry for not mentioning him, yes I do have a rooster and he is fertilizing the eggs. I just found out this morning, it is ok behavior due to the heat we get in this part of East TX. I'm about 18 miles south of Canton, TX.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  2. Sep 20, 2018
    Simpleterrier

Simpleterrier Loving the herd life

Do u have a rooster

3. Sep 20, 2018
    Anthony Sr.

I am sorry for not mentioning him, yes I do have a rooster and he is fertilizing the eggs. I just found out this morning, it is ok behavior due to the heat we get in this part of East TX. I'm about 18 miles south of Canton, TX.

4. Sep 20, 2018
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Herd Master

It's possible that she's just decided to use the nest as her overnight accommodations instead of a roost and isn't really broody.

5. Sep 21, 2018
    Anthony Sr.

I really haven't noticed if she broody or not, she sitting on 3 egg's, so I'll find out around 10/7 if she is/was sitting. That'll be the 21 day's.