Is this normal?

cattlequeen

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the board this topic belongs under, but anyways, I spent 4 days down at the MN State Fair showing rabbits in 4-H. I had one rabbit that would NOT drink or eat at all while we were down there.

I know the rabbit was most likely stressed and didn't want to drink, plus the temperatures were in the high 80's, but you'd think they'd drink sometime in the four days down there, or touch the food?!

The rabbit did not pee or poop a single time while I was down there. (Bonus for me, because I didn't have to wake up so early to clean the cage for herdsmanship) Now that we've returned home, he's starting to pee and poop again.

What I'm asking is, is that normal for them to go 4 days without eating or drinking, and not going to the bathroom?

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
4 days is not "normal"; I feel like you dodged a bullet on this one. A rabbit may not eat or drink due to stress, when I take adult rabbits to shows, they usually ignore feed (except to throw the feed dishes around). I have bought rabbits that didn't eat when they were first moved to my rabbitry, and always breathe a sigh of relief when they do start eating. If a rabbit goes without eating or drinking for extended periods, they can develop GI stasis - the digestive system basically shuts down, and that can kill a rabbit if it goes on long enough. A rabbit that has done this is also at risk for other conditions (like wry neck) so I'd keep a close eye on him for the next couple of weeks. If this guy gets this stressed out by change, it might be a good idea not to take him to overnight shows in the future. ;)

cattlequeen

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Bunnylady! Its been about 4 days since we've returned now and he seems to be doing fine. Eating and drinking normal. Fecal and pee matter are normal now. I will keep an eye on him though. Thanks for the information!