Is this round head shape a genetic defect or just because he was premature?

chicks & ducks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hi all.
After talking with the vet re-our calf with the bad back leg she mentioned that if his forehead was also round he likely had a genetic defect. We only talked on the phone, she was already pretty certain that a calf born 6 weeks early and with a bad back leg was not going to survive. I have to admit-newbie calf owner that I am-I thought his round shaped head(and incredible small size) were just because he was early.
I'll upload a photo or two of the lil guy & would appreciate any thoughts either way-confirming or denying any defect.

Attachments

• 2013-12-09 08.43.22.jpg
    2013-12-09 08.43.22.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 295
  • 2013-12-09 08.43.36.jpg
    2013-12-09 08.43.36.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 295
  • 2013-12-09 08.43.41.jpg
    2013-12-09 08.43.41.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 269
  • 2013-12-09 08.43.59.jpg
    2013-12-09 08.43.59.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 300

MDres

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I've had premie calves and foals survive, but they required intensive care. As in, they lived in the house in a dog crate for a month or so, and then in the backyard for another few months. Mine were all summer babies, so I am not sure how successful I would have been in the winter...

It's hard to tell in the pictures, but the close up of the calf's head does make it appear to be slightly domed and round vs. fairly flat... Could be hydrocephalus (aka water on the brain/water brain/water head), which can happen in premature births, as a result of genetic defects, or "runts" in a litter. I've seen puppies hang on for weeks after birth with hydrocephalus, but ultimately succumb. My limited experience with it in calves was only with still-births, not live births.

I know in dogs, there can be different degrees/severity of it, and not all are born dead. Reading info about the occurrence in cattle makes is seem like it is immediately fatal...

Azriel

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Look up info on Weak Calf Syndrome or Dummy Calf Syndrome.
Infectious causes of WCS include Bovine Viral Diarrhea Virus (BVDV) and leptospirosis. BVDV is capable of causing multiple congenital problems in calves. The particular problem seen in calves will depend on the stage of gestation the cow was in at the time of infection. Calves infected in-utero may show signs of hydrocephalous, immaturity,” dummies”, or generalized weakness. Calves also have a "hunched" stance.
I still think the leg is an injury, and not related to the head issue other than the calf being weak at birth and not able to get out of the way of the cow. If you want to save this calf even if its to be butchered later, I really think you need to have the vet out to see the calf. I know sometimes the vets don't want to do a farm call, I had to insist on the vet comming out to look at my calf. To avoid the farm call fee is there any way for you to take the calf in to the vet, that should cut down on cost.
As long as it is up and eating well this calf should be able to make it

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It is most likely hydrocephalus + premature + navel ill , so the prognosis is not good. I would save my money and use a .22 to it's head sooner than later to put it out of it's misery.

Latest posts