Is Today The Day? The Babies Have Arrived!!! *(PICS)*

Patchesnposies

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi! I have two Nigerian Dwarf Goats, Trinket and Tassel. Tassel is due to kid any day now. I woke up to hear her calling out, which she never does. Ran to check on her and no baby(s) yet. She has been "talking" in a low voice all morning. She is eating and resting. She also seems to be panting a lot, too.

I figure there is a good chance she may just be getting ready for the big day.....but as in all of these situations.....it's gotta happen sometime! LOL

Say a little prayer for her, this is her first time.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
If she were a cow, I would say it could be.

Good luck and keep us posted!

:caf

Patchesnposies

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Farmer Kitty said:
If she were a cow, I would say it could be.

Good luck and keep us posted!

:caf
She and Trinket are as close as we can get to a cow at the moment. When we lived in SD we had a herd of Jersey cows and I loved them so much.

DH and I are wondering if we got a mini-jersey, if we could tell the city that it is just a really big dog???

Just Kidding........(or am I?) :hu

I will post Tassel's progress if there is any, and, of course, pictures!

Chirpy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Sure sounds like kids are on the way within the next 24 hours. Good luck to both you and Tassel (love your goats names :D).

Patchesnposies

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Is it normal for mama goats to want company when they are in labor? If Tassel can't see me, she hollers and hollers. Then, when I come out she settles down again.

I plan to sit with her a lot once my DH is home, but right now my time is divided between the six kids and innumerable other animals!

(Including 5 little song birds and 2 baby quail someone brought to our door late Saturday night-because they just knew we'd know what to do for them! LOL)

Thanks everyone for the well wishes! And the welcome, too!

Chirpy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Patchesnposies asked:
Is it normal for mama goats to want company when they are in labor?
It's really an individual goat thing. Some does demand their human is near them when in labor and aren't happy at all if they are alone. It seems to be the case with your girl. Sometimes - a doe won't want you anywhere near them and can actually try and 'butt' you away.

Also, sometimes they want other goats around and sometimes they don't. I keep mine in a separate kidding stall but it has a second stall right next to it with 2x4 welded wire between so I can have another goat in the next stall for company if needed.

I like the ones that want me there!