ISO German Shepherd Doberman mix Puppy

For the Love of Dirt

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I am looking for a German Shepherd Doberman mix puppy. I just bought land for my homestead and will hopefully be moving onto by the end of April, and will be living by myself for the first time, so I am looking for a personal dog, and one that will make others second guess tryin' to mess with me! I love German shepherds, but not so much the insane shedding. I know this is kind of a shot in the dark, but I thought I would try asking here anyway. If anyone in Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, Mississippi, South Carolina, and up to and around Ashville, N.C. (as we are planning to go to the Mother Earth News Fair in Asheville at the end of April) and you happen to have some puppies, or know someone who does, that will be ready to go to their new homes at the end of April, please let me know! I am willing to pay a reasonable adoption fee! Preferably no docked tails or cropped ears, but since the mix is hard to find I'll probably take one anyway!

Also, it MUST be a puppy. I would love to take an adult dog that is good with cats, but my cat is a jerkface and likes to pee everywhere when he doesn't like something new, and I think a puppy would upset him less. We kept a puppy for 3 weeks last year and he wasn't too upset by it, but when we got my mom's adult dog all heck broke loose! He eventually quit once he got used to her, but there was definitely a difference between bringing in an adult and bringing in a pup. I think he feels more able to assert dominance over a puppy, and therefor less threatened.

Last edited:

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hello, both breeds shed... my black and tan girl Emma was a doberman and the best protection dog, friend and companion...... While she did shed, the hairs are much shorter than a shepards....it may be easier to choose one of the two breeds than to try and find a mixed breed of both...best of luck to you in your search :)

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Both those breeds have high prey drive so if you are planning on homesteading you may want to rethink that.
The two breeds separate are great but together? Both are working but one is a herding dog and one a working/utility. Good luck.

For the Love of Dirt

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Shepherds shed in huge clumps, which is what I am trying to tame. I know it won't eliminate shedding completely.

I wouldn't call what shepherds have a "prey" drive. They have a work drive, and are on almost every farm dog/homestead dog list out there. However, if you don't give them a job or stimulate them mentally, then yeah, they will find a job for themselves, which may include chasing and possibly killing livestock, but this can be said about any high drive intelligent dog. But this is my personal dog, it will be with me at all times when I am on the farm, and I am planning extensive training, emphasizing "leave it" and recall, starting the day I get it.

But this is still reliant on if I can find one. It's a rare mix, so I might not. If I can't find one by the time I move, I will be looking at local rescues for the next best pup I can find.

Bayleaf Meadows

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hey, Sammbalina! I will be a vendor at the Mother Earth News Fair near Asheville. Stop by and say hello! Bayleaf Signs and Wonders, booth 5002

Latest posts