ISO Milking goats

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree on the milk taste. We have a toggenburg who makes tons of milk and I love her she is super friendly but the milk does not taste good to me. Also was not a huge fan of our alpine's milk, our lamancha mini's(lamancha x nigerian dwarf) had milk we liked. We never have tried nubian milk and now we do boers for meat. Maybe I will get nubian some day, I do love their looks.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Nubian does bred to Boer bucks can produce nice meaty kids or meat. Years ago when Boers were new and very expensive most of the 4-H kids used cross breds for their market goats. The best crosses were Boer x Nubian. Adding a Nubian doe for milk and using your Boer buck on her would give you some nice meaty meat kids. And delicious Nubian milk. Nubian milk is a little higher cream content than the Swiss breeds. Although you have to use a mechanical separator for goat milk, we often had a small layer of cream rising from the Nubian milk after a day or so.
:drool

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Nubian does bred to Boer bucks can produce nice meaty kids or meat. Years ago when Boers were new and very expensive most of the 4-H kids used cross breds for their market goats. The best crosses were Boer x Nubian. Adding a Nubian doe for milk and using your Boer buck on her would give you some nice meaty meat kids. And delicious Nubian milk. Nubian milk is a little higher cream content than the Swiss breeds. Although you have to use a mechanical separator for goat milk, we often had a small layer of cream rising from the Nubian milk after a day or so.
:drool
It still common here for people to cross boer and the old style thicker nubians so you find the crosses pretty commonly. We have now had at least 4 boer x nubians all different amounts. We are now hoping to move over to cows milk in the next year or two though so probly wouldnt get nubians just for milking but I have always like them. We did have a supposed mini nubian buck for awhile, he didnt have any of the nubian parts except the ears and coat color though but he was crossed with ND so his coat was always longer and he had the ND nose and personality.

Latest posts