Issues following CDT vaccine or could be something else

Alexz7272

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So I have my lambs their CDT vaccine, they are 7 weeks, 6 & 2-4 week olds. My 6 week old ewe will not put any weight on the leg on the side I gave the shot and is panting. The other three are perfectly fine. She is still lively minus dragging her one leg. Eating normal at least. I am completely lost. She got up for food this morning but I just got home and she isnt walking on it to the extent of just dragging is limbly. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you :(

Alexz7272

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
image.jpeg image.jpeg

Alexz7272

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Per a neighbor who raises sheep up the street, I gave it in their armpit and gave it SQ. thank you

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
My Storey Guide to Raising Sheep says "Be careful not to inject into the armpit - this can happen if the injection is made too far forward. The armpit is actually a large cavity underlying the entire shoulder blade area, crossed by the major artery, vein and nerves that serve the front leg. Some vaccines are highly irritating and if injected into the axillary space (armpit), could cause a severe reaction and lameness.".

The preferred place for sub-q injections is in the loose, hairless skin behind and below the armpit to the rear of the elbow, over the chest wall. You can also give them in the neck area, that's generally what I do because it's easier for me solo.

If it doesn't improve soon I'd call the vet to see if there's anything you could do. Good luck.

Ponker

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have a neighbor who raises sheep. He's been raising sheep since he was a boy and he's 74 years old now. I took his advice when I first started out and, while it might have been the thing to do years ago, practices have changed. He means well and has a heart of gold. It's just that he's not willing to consider improved methods and practices. I had to stop taking his advice because it was very dated. He still raises sheep and has a lot more than I do. He and I chose to agree to disagree but I can tell he was hurt by the fact I decided to do things differently.

My well meaning neighbor still buys from the sale barn, does not quarantine, deals with pink eye and foot rot on an almost weekly basis because he's not willing to change. He underdoses his wormer to stretch it and does not vaccinate. These are all choices he's made for his farm. I do things differently because I read many books including the Storey Guides. I also learned a lot on this site by reading and lurking for a long time before I actually joined.

I hope your neighbor is a better mentor than mine was.

I'm sorry your sheep is lame. I think @norseofcourse nailed the problem if it started after the CDT. Perhaps therapy can get her to use it again. I don't know what can be done to help her. I just used therapy to get a chicken to use a leg she severely injured. I'm shocked it worked but she's going strong now and putting weight on it. I know your sheep isn't a chicken but it's a success story nonetheless.

Donna R. Raybon

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
It is the clostridium portion of vaccine that causes swelling tenderness. No matter where you inject, it will cause painful swelling. She should be ok in a few days.
To avoid injection site abscess:
Always use a new needle for each injection. Do not inject wet skin/hair. Try to always place injection so if it does abscess, it will drain.