Issues?!

nstone630

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
My doe who kidded 3 months ago started having diarrhea Sunday. Her work count was fine after kidding. We actually just did our routine worm maintenance this weekend of Ivermectin paste on all the goats.

Sunday afternoon she started looking lethargic. I took her temp, 103, so no fever. She has no interest in food which is VERY odd for her. Her FAMACHA score is ok from what I could tell yesterday. I want to check it again today when I get home from work.

Since I just dosed her with the Ivermectin paste Sunday what can I give her again so soon? I am going to collect a fecal sample but I won't have a good answer on that until Thursday/Friday at the earliest from the vet.

Any tips on something to give her in the mean time to perk her up. She's "staring" off. Since she has no fever, I feel it's just worms. But, could I be wrong?

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Are you sure you have the formulation right on the dewormer? I've never used the paste.
How much did you use and where did you get the dosage?

When did you check her fecal last? You say she was fine after kidding, but at what time was the fecal run (2 days, 2 weeks?).
How do her eyelids look? Do you have a famacha card? Are you able to snap a pic of her eyelid?

Yes, get the fecal checked asap. I wouldn't give anymore ivermectin until you know what she's dealing with.

We had a goat here (not my goat-long story) present with severe pneumonia (was dying, its amazing he's alive) and only had a 103 temp. I don't think this is your does problem just something to keep in your mind for future reference.

Having fecals checked first before you worm is best. This tells you what you are actually treating, if you need to treat, the parasite load, and helps reduce dewormer resistance. If the doe has a very high parasite load and you give a strong dewormer, you can cause internal bleed out.

Has she gotten into any different hay/feed/pasture? Is she UTD on her CDT?

Some probiotics would be good, she could benefit from some B complex too. I would be hesitant to throw anything else at her until you have some more answers.

Watch for dehydration. If the scours get to bad you can add some Gatorade to her water (if she likes it).

How is her body condition?

nstone630

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I use the Ivermectin 1.87% paste. Typically its twice the amount per weight. It's used for horses, but in my area all the horse owners that also have goats use it on both with success. I've also used safeguard and Ivermectin drench. The paste seems the easiest.

I just google the famacha card online and they pop up. I'll check her again this evening and try and get a photo.

I have probiotic at home I can add to her water. I'm worried she is going to get dehydrated, I may have to drench her.

Body looks good. Her bag still seems full, even since weening her kids. She's never been a full figured doe, kind of the tall skinny type.

She's not been exposed to anything new, same feed, same hay, same field.

My son just called me and told me that she's laying down. We have her confined to the kidding stall since last night. He checked her membrane, he says it's pink (i'll confirm more when I get home)

What sounds BAD to me is that he says she is laying down and when he went in there she didn't even attempt to get up and he was able to rub her back, belly and head without her even moving away from him. If you remember she was my more "wild" doe, who didn't like human contact. I fear she is not going to make it through the night. :he

She had absolutely NO symptoms beside diarrhea that ONLY started Sunday. It is only Wednesday. There is no way something could be this wrong this fast. She was perfect 4 days ago! :hu

Alibo

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I use the same paste but have always used 3x the dosage with great results, curious to know if I am using to high a dosage. Anyone else use ivermectin horse paste and what dosage?

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have not. And financially, I wouldn't be able to do much beside a phone consult. That being said, there isn't much they could do that we haven't already said on here.
I understand the $ aspect.
However a vet should be able to tell more. Many thing she get missed on an online forum.

When someone has the experience it isn't hard to determine if it is parasites or another issue.

Give the probiotics as a drench

If she does not make it, take her to Rollins lab for a necropsy. It will run you $30-$40 but gives you an idea of whats going on. Well worth the money.

Glad you are having the vet out

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mix the probiotic powder with water and drench her. 20 cc again in a few hours ... keep giving this. Sounds like her rumin needs a jump start and is trying to shut down.

Glad vet is coming out. Start those probios though, it could save her life.