It's been a tough year, could use some feedback

raeleigh26

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hi, I've only just joined, and this is both a query and a mild vent post. We're in north east oklahoma, we've got 5 horses (2 are boarded,not ours) 2 labs, 3 cats, rabbits, chickens, ducks, and cattle. This year, both of my best breeding new Zealand does have eaten 3 litters, both were due yesterday and nested, but nothing, I've lost over 40 young chickens that I hatched out to coryza, I'll be culling the rest of the flock in spring after collecting enough eggs to hatch out to replace them, which is painful because I've had some of them for years, they're pets. and my dexter heifer just had her first calf stillborn. We bought a dairy Angus cross 2 day old calf to put on her and she loved him at first, but is now bullying him. So I'm supervising nursing 3 times a day.
I've heard contradicting opionions about milking, some insist you milk dry twice a day, others insist milking dry is bad.... the calf (3 days with surrogate momma) is still bright eyed and playful, but I'm a little worried he may not be getting enough. Any thoughts on this?
Maggie is 3 years old, very selfish with her feed and hay, but the calf has nibbled a bit of hay, and I'm also thinking of switching her from 20%feed back to the tubs she was on before.
I've found nothing at all on the benefit or problems with a nursing calf eating from a feed tub, again, any thoughts? He does lick the mineral block quite a bit. I have no doubt he'd have his nose in a molasses tub.thank you in advance!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
First, Greetings from the front range in Colorado :frow :welcome! Sorry you've had to deal with so much loss. No problem venting here as a general rule, we've all done it and we all need to on occasion. Glad you decided to join us and hope you'll share some pics and such once you're comfortable. There are lots of great folks here who willingly help others when they ask.

I can't really help you on your cattle questions, but there are those here that can. Normally, you'll get better responses if you post in a thread dealing with your issue. There is a section with threads purely dedicated to cattle. But right off the top of my head, a couple of folks who might be able to help would be @WildRoseBeef , @jhm47 , @greybeard , @Bossroo

I hope everything works out for the little one.

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have always said that a slightly hungry calf is a healthy calf, so if he's still "bright eyed and playful" I'd quit worrying about him getting enough. Calves often nibble on hay and other things. Most likely they are just exploring. I also wouldn't worry about him overeating on mineral/molasses/hay. The cow will eventually accept the calf. Might take a couple more days. I'd give her some of her favorite feed while the calf is sucking. Good luck!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry for your rough year.
I know nothing about cattle or rabbits.
I do have a large poultry farm... Coryza is bird to bird transmission as you know but it is more prevalent where there are other diseases. MG (Mycoplasma Gallisepticum) is a real biggy.

If you plan on collecting eggs you really may want to think seriously about that before doing so. Birds with Coryza often become carriers, no real info on whether coryza is vertically transmitted (through egg) but by doing Tylan dip process you can eliminate MG. MG is often found in flocks with Coryza.

Were the birds necropsied for results or is Coryza a guess?

If it were me I would not gather and hatch from this group. I would eradicate all birds, clean disinfect, allow land to rest and restart with healthy stock in spring.

Heat is your best source when allowing to rest. Most poultry diseases can survive extreme frigid temperatures. Bleach is ineffective once it hits organic matter- so you would need to clean everything before bleach. Vinegar is also ineffective.

raeleigh26

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Coryza is a best guess. My neighbors got different birds from several different farms and lost a lot of theirs also. We'll both have to cull. From what I've read, it's not passed through the eggs and hatched chicks should be fine as long as the grounds have been sanitized and rested. Birds were snotty, foul smelling discharge from nasal passages, swollen eyes, sneezing and coughing. Sulmet and tetracycline cleared it up in the older birds. I've been told that once symptoms pass and they're no longer on meds that (given a withal period, I've waited 3 weeks) the meat and eggs are safe for consumption.
People have mentioned that I should've posted my original thread in a specific topic, I thought I did. .... related to calves.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
SO Sorry @raeleigh26 As I was answering you, I looked up (to the browser location vice the actual site location) and it simply said /threads/... not WHICH thread, so I assumed (incorrectly) that it was posted in the introduction area.

You done good and right! My bust :confused::(:hide

Goatgirl47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Welcome to BYH!

I'm sorry about the chickens, and that your calf was stillborn. :( One of our cows last year had a stillborn calf as well. We got a foster calf for her, but then found out that she had no milk, so we had to butcher her.

I agree with @jhm47 about your new foster calf. I hope all goes well!

raeleigh26

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thank you all for your replies, I'm no stranger to farm life (read: reality. ..lol) it happens, but this all wad within the last 3 months. Sometimes the blows are non stop.
Looking forward to many more reads and hopefully, happier posts!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
You posted in the right section... you were really talking about calves... I just thought I'd mention the poultry thing since you mentioned it. My thought was more about the MG as it is in 80+% of all flocks and is often found with other respiratory issues. Carrier birds, asymptomatic but it is generally found when birds are diagnosed with other respiratory issues.

So many of us here can understand the "what the heck is happening" where there seems to be a run of everything is going wrong. It sure can be discouraging. :hugs Since you are no stranger to farm life you know it will pass- just sure stinks going through.

Glad you joined the forum! :) It is a great place to :lol:, share :weee :celebrate, :hit, vent :duc :he:rant:somad:tongue:sick :barnie, give and get info.
Some wonderful people on the rabbit forums too!
Lots of good folks here.

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
welcome to the forum raeleigh26 from your neighbor down the hill. like southernbychoice said you've come to a good place to share and get help if you need it and give help if you can. I'm so sorry about your losses but because you are a farm girl you know that this too shall pass, its just hard to endure till it does.

Latest posts