It's gross in there!!

Pepperjack'smom

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
What can I put down under the straw in the shelter to help with the pee/poo mess? I scoop it all out and replace with fresh straw every week or so and it's always so nasty under there. The door is open and air is circulating all day. What should I do?

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
"Is the dirt draining?"
x2

The "kind" of dirt under there can make a difference too. Some drain really well, some just kind of absorb the 'gunk' and hold it and then the pooh/pee/dirt mix is worse than just plain pooh/pee. You end up with an above ground septic tank, but without as much fluid.

If you've ever been in one of the old 19th century New England style dairy barns, where the poop and pee fell thru the slats in the elevated milking parlors and was generally left there until that whole area was full, you understand why your goat shelter may smell.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Agree on the possibility of the type of dirt causing some of the smell/mess. But when you clean it, let it air dry for a day on a nice sunny day, use ag lime to "sanitize and sweeten" the ground. And don't be skimpy but cover the ground. Then use sawdust or finer shavings then the straw over top. The manure and pee will go down through the straw, and get absorbed by the sawdust/shavings better than just going into the dirt. The lime will help with the odor and makes a better addition to a compost pile or even just being spread on the garden or pasture or hayfield.

Pepperjack'smom

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Agree on the possibility of the type of dirt causing some of the smell/mess. But when you clean it, let it air dry for a day on a nice sunny day, use ag lime to "sanitize and sweeten" the ground. And don't be skimpy but cover the ground. Then use sawdust or finer shavings then the straw over top. The manure and pee will go down through the straw, and get absorbed by the sawdust/shavings better than just going into the dirt. The lime will help with the odor and makes a better addition to a compost pile or even just being spread on the garden or pasture or hayfield.

Perfect, thank you!

Pepperjack'smom

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
"Is the dirt draining?"
x2

The "kind" of dirt under there can make a difference too. Some drain really well, some just kind of absorb the 'gunk' and hold it and then the pooh/pee/dirt mix is worse than just plain pooh/pee. You end up with an above ground septic tank, but without as much fluid.

If you've ever been in one of the old 19th century New England style dairy barns, where the poop and pee fell thru the slats in the elevated milking parlors and was generally left there until that whole area was full, you understand why your goat shelter may smell.

No, it doesn't drain. Not enough moisture to drain. Just enough to make it stink! I think I'll try some lime and different shavings.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I was going to suggest similar to farmerjan. Personally I don't like most straw as it isn't my idea of a good absorbing material and just "holds the stink". You will see huge improvement with shavings & lime or Sweet PDZ. If I use straw, I like to chop it first...or buy it that way. Hay cut late, not great for eating but great for bedding...Of course, my goats use the good hay for bedding sometimes :(

Latest posts