It's gross in there!!

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Goats always use good hay for bedding, that's the norm around here.

In my perfect barn I will have layers of coarse gravel, medium gravel, fine gravel, and lastly compaced decomposed granite for my floor. I would rake it out every few days. That will never happen in the barn I have now, too big and no easy way to get the gravel installed, but if I had time and money to hire it done that would be what I would do. I have use a product called Stall Dry with good results.

Athena2344

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Or you can use horse pellet bedding, it comes in a large sack and you fill the sack up with water and let the pellets expand, then spread around. We u se this all the time at show, it has no smell even after 4 days with 4 heiders peeing on it, it's easy to scoop poop out of, and it keeps the animals cool.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Had same problems in our goat palace, we put sand over the dirt, (about 4") easy to sift berries out and drains well..... I also use human safe DE to keep any problems from living in a humid enviorment...our goat palace is 12' × 21' with one side built in three levels so they can go wherever they want inside, also makes raking under the levels easy to clean....

Pepperjack'smom

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Or you can use horse pellet bedding, it comes in a large sack and you fill the sack up with water and let the pellets expand, then spread around. We u se this all the time at show, it has no smell even after 4 days with 4 heiders peeing on it, it's easy to scoop poop out of, and it keeps the animals cool.
Oh wow, I had no idea!!

Pepperjack'smom

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Had same problems in our goat palace, we put sand over the dirt, (about 4") easy to sift berries out and drains well..... I also use human safe DE to keep any problems from living in a humid enviorment...our goat palace is 12' × 21' with one side built in three levels so they can go wherever they want inside, also makes raking under the levels easy to clean....

Anything on top of the sand or just the sand? That's a great idea!!

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mostly sand, they tend to enjoy finding a clean spot and laying in it on a hot day...unless they choose to get up on highest level of goat side and get breeze from fan. It is so easy to clean also using the sand...where you live you can easily bed it down also with straw for winter....i use the DE FOR EVERYTHING...i dust goats, chickens dog and cat....goat house sand gets dusted and chickens have a box of it to clean them selfs in it...good luck

DesertDawn

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We use Sweet PDZ which is also used in horse stalls to neutralize the ammonia. I sprinkle that fairly heavily on the dirt while I'm letting our barn dry out between bedding changes. I also sprinkle it in the bedding. It does a good job on the goat pee odor. I also use it in the chicken coop.

MiniSilkys

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
would the goats not yet to eat it?