It's snowing!

Parsnip

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Snow is so beautiful to look at, but it gets old really quick...

Decided to take the sheep and alpacas out of the barn, so they could run around and stretch their legs.
(plus it gave me plenty of time to clean the barn)

Mom and Baby snow.png
Victor and Wendy snow.png

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you so much,.....but I have posted three fairly ordinary ones. I have a collection of sheep in the snow....it snows quite a bit each winter here.

Andrei

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Fantastic pictures.
I went to my "ranch" over the weekend and it was cold.
Saturday morning small rain for 5 hrs and after that sun came out.
Sunday morning we found ice in the buckets and on the car.
On the way back to town we crossed the mountains at 4000 feet and there was the snow.
Wife did not wanted to get out of the car but it was beautiful.

Singing Shepherd

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
It snowed 8.5" here yesterday and it was the first time my sheep had ever been out in anything so deep. They must not have been too intimidated. They spent time walking around in the briars below the barn cause the usual evidence of such was in their wool; but I was wondering if I should worry about the amount of snow they got in their wool doing this. They were blanketed in snow cause it snowed all day. Today it seems not to have dried, but frozen into slushy globs. 6 more inches due tomorrow...should I keep them enclosed in barn?

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Pawnee....the answer for most sheep is no,they are built to withstand the cold. I keep two types of sheep,Beulah Speckled Face and Blue Faced Leicester. The former is a thick-fleeced, medium-sized sheep bred locally (damp and misty mountainous area). The latter is a fine-fleeced but huge sheep.Whereas the Leicesters shiver and suffer with severe cold and wet,the Beulahs seem to not to notice.
Whereas the Leicesters will be hiding in the little tin shack or anywhere else they can avoid snow,the Beulahs appear as mounds in the snow when there has been overnight snow. They get up,shake themselves off and are fine.
If you feel the coat of the leicester it is wet and the skin of the animal feels cold. The dense fleece of the Beulahs is oily and the skin of the animal feels dry and warm
Anyway,a long-winded way of saying.....thick-fleeced will be fine, fancy sheep with long silky hair, best in the barn in the worst of the weather.

Last edited:

Singing Shepherd

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thank you so much. I had myself out there with a small whisk broom trying to brush off some of snow before it froze in place. I will trust that my East Fesian and Jacob sheep are designed by their creator to withstand and adjust.