Ivermectin for ear mites

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
One of my does showed symptoms of ear mites - crusty ears, and she was shaking her head a lot yesterday. So, I dosed her with .20 mL of Noromectin (cheap ivermectin) 1%. I had expected to need to possibly follow up with some ear drops in case of infection - which I have some human grade ones. I didn't notice any smell though so had planned on being watchful.
I dosed her orally with a 1 mL oral syringe - not that hard with a towel and laying them on their back.

Well, that was one of the fastest turn arounds I've ever seen. Her ears are no longer crusty at all this morning. I am going to be vigilant with everyone else since she had them, and re-dose her in 14 days and then again 14 days after that to make sure I kill everything.

Just wanted to drop a line in with how well it worked. I've been using ivermectin for years for heart worm preventative in my dogs, and a bottle lasts a long time!

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I use noromectin when I worm my goats or treat them for lice. I haven't bought 'the real deal' in years.

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I've never had a problem with Noromectin vs brand name Ivomec. Noromectin is made by Norbrook, Ivomec comes from Merck. What I know from my actual job is that generics are generally the same exact product without the brand name price (and that's talking about human pharmaceuticals). The only real big difference between a generic and name brand that I can think of off hand is Synthroid vs a generic (levothyroxine), where one may work better than the other and changing from brand name to generic sometimes has problems, which I believe stems from the inactive ingredients.
A lot of the time the generic is made by the same lab that makes the brand name as well, so the medication is actually the exact same. The FDA doesn't allow for large variances between products that have a generic, if there's a problem, it is probably with the lab's quality control.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I use noromectin when I worm my goats or treat them for lice. I haven't bought 'the real deal' in years.
Same here, but I don't use it to treat lice.
It is the 1% just like the Ivomec.

I recently bought a 250 ML bottle of "Ivermax" from our local Southern State. Its 1% ivermectin.
$60 for 250 ML are $30 for 50 ML?

I won't have to buy Ivermectin for a long while! :D

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't dose that high; dose lower and do a fecal and see if it works. The smaller the dose the better if you are getting results.

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
For HW preventative it's a lot lower than that. 0.1 mL per 10 lbs - so a 100 lb dog gets about 1 mL. That's actually higher than what is in the Heartguard tablets, so as long as your dog doesn't have MDR1 and an ivermectin sensitivity, it works great. I just put it on some wet food and they gulp it down, I've also injected it for the dogs but it must burn or itch because they scratch at it afterward (SubQ'ed).

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yeah dogs don't care for it, the way they scratched I assumed it itches/burns. I usually have no problem getting them to gulp down a couple spoonfuls of wet dog food with it on there though. It's definitely a "little dab will do ya" kind of medication, and they warn about overdose, but it takes a LOT of ivermectin to actually OD a dog (in excess of 10 mL I believe).