Ivermectin injections

Vkp23

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I’m not sure if this is the right place to post this. Sorry if it isn’t the right place. If I were to use the ivermectin injections, how often can I use it? I’d like do just have something I can do monthly like selenium just like as an upkeep so it doesn’t become something that gets on top of me. like on the first Of the month all the goats get selenium and ivermectin injection. Makes things easier on me and my bad memory. 😖 counting X number of months then X number of days for this medication then something dif fir something else and so on makes thing difficult with my bipolar and anxiety. Lots of concentration and memory issues. Having a first of the month schedule for maintenance is easier for me to remember.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't think any wormer is a monthly thing.

I prefer only using a wormer as needed.

So, I am a huge fan of the FAMACHA score.

But, I usually look at gums, not the eyelid.

FAMACHAR-anaemia-guide.png

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
I understand wanting to get a routine set up, but I would caution against doing ivermectin as a routine. There are other ways of treating your goats to help prevent worms (internal parasites).

For example, I put diatomaceous earth in my goats feed daily. I think it helps prevent worms and it seems to help with less flies. I give it to my ducks in their feed daily and the fly population is much less. DE is not expensive and can be used daily which is good for my memory. :)

Other things such as a herbal wormer like this one: https://www.aplfarms.com/herbal-supplements/herbalwormer may be a good choice. There are other herbal wormers out there in the marketplace. Some folks swear by them, but you need to make sure you are starting with a clean system as they all are more preventative than a cure.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Worming on a schedule only causes resistance to the worm medication. So in effect, you create super worms. Not a good thing to do. I use Garlic Barrier as a regular wormer. I only trot out the chemical wormers when I know the sheep have worms. I do a fecal exam under the microscope.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Look up Garlic Barrier, there is a section titled sheep.

Take a fecal sample to the vet so you know where you are. You can’t pick it off the ground as it will be contaminated. Put on gloves, insert fingers in rectum and pull out poop. Turn glove inside out, write name on glove, put in zip lock bag. Take to the vet immediately or store in refrigerator overnight.

If that sounds disgusting, follow goat hoping to catch poop before it hits the ground. LOL

@animalmom is correct on natural or herbal wormers. They work best as a preventative.

Get a fecal test, if worm count is low, use natural or herbal wormers. Check eye lids frequently.

Latest posts