Ivermectin Paste for sheep

DawnStarAZ

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Sounds like a silly question, but we have given this to our goats--wondering if its the same dose for sheep? Its time for us to get our sheep UTD on their deworming, and I don't want to have to order the drench and wait for it to get here.

Has any one actually used this before? And what dose do you use?? OR can I use the injectable as an oral (like you can for goats)? I have some injectable left--but another thing that needs to be ordered. Hoping to use the paste since it is readily available....

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hi, and welcome.

I'm from Little Britain, so check for local formulations.

Over here we have Ivermectin sheep drench (0.08% solution) and it is designed to be used in sheep only. The dose is 3mls per 26lbs body weight.It is highly active, there's little resistance to it and it's active against roundworms, nasal bots and lungworms plus a lot of other odds and ends.

Check with your vet. about using formulations designed for goats/ injectable ivermectin (or alternatively wait for some knowledgeable person on this forum to advise).

DawnStarAZ

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi Thank you :D

We don't use a vet--I am my vet. There are no competent vets in our area that haven't killed several peoples sheep/goats by administering excessive doses of medications/medications that these animals are KNOWN to be sensitive too. So I am not going to allow them to put their hands on my flock. Our local feed stores are very limited in what they carry, and most of the time the things I need are Out of Stock. So, that's why I am trying to use what is most readily available (the paste) so I can get all the sheep done in one day (this week I can have someone help me restrain my animals--but then I wont have help again for a while). After pasting, I can order the drench later, and keep it on-hand for the next time its needed.

I read somewhere that it is the same dose that I would use for a goat, others have said its 2x. I don't like to 'over medicate' even if a product is 'safe' and want to get a better idea of what an effective dose really is for an animal that isn't under severe worm-load stress. With goats its straight forward--2mls/100lbs generally. But with sheep there appears to be more 'Grey-areas' when it comes to anthelmintics, and everyone seems to have their 'own' dosing method. :?

Last edited:

DawnStarAZ

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
This is the Dose I am going to use-- as recommended from a respected source--
Ivermectin Paste (for horses):
0.5cc (1/2 ml)/per 100lbs

Kickin it

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Did that dosage for the paste work?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Did that dosage for the paste work?
Kinda a few years have passed. Where ya’ been? LOL
I sometimes use the apple flavored ivermectin horse wormer on my sheep. I just use the measurement marks on the applicator. Never had a problem. What kind of sheep do you have? I raise Katahdins.