Ivomec in Winter

julierx1

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the pour on version of ivomec can be used in the winter? I do not see why not but thought about asking first

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen it done before. The vet I used to work for put pour-on Ivomec for cows during the winter, but the best times for it were either early winter or late winter/early spring.

If you're in an area where you don't much snow (like I do), it's not a bad idea. In my opinion. :)

Four Winds Ranch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Growing up, we always used Ivomec (pour on) regardless of the season, and never had any problems.
Just last year I had to use some on my daughters 4-H steer in Feb. and all was good!!!:) We get a TRUE winter and have never been warned aginst it!

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
julierx1 said:
Does anyone know if the pour on version of ivomec can be used in the winter? I do not see why not but thought about asking first
You should be ok depending on your definition of winter in your region.
Do you have warble or heel flies in your area? Ever notice grubs on the backs of your cattle? Bumps about the size of the end of your finger indicate a grub just under the hide.
Ivomec pour on is labeled as a grubicide. Live grubs, (heel or warble fly larvae) move around to different parts of the body before emerging from the animal as mature hard larvae, and should the larvae carry the insecticide into the spinal canal or esophagus, it can cause an interaction. In mid winter the grubs "should" be up on the outer skin/hide area, but again, it depends where you are. You want to treat right after the end of the warble fly season-- as soon as possible after it ends. Cornell Univ info says not to treat after Nov 1 in New York State, but that date is also normal for a lot of areas--Iowa, Neb, Ill, Ohio. W. Va recommnds treatment only July-Sept.
http://www.caf.wvu.edu/~forage/cattle_grub_mgmt.htm

It also depends if you have the common grub or the Northern grub (different species) most areas have both. Common cattle grubs reach the backline from December to late February, whereas northern cattle grubs arrive from mid-February to April. This means the treatment cutoff date will change if you have northern type, as the grubs will still be in connective tissue in Dec, Jan and 1st part of Feb. Do NOT use a pouron labeled for grub control during this period!!

It is not labeled for lactating cattle and there is a 48 day waiting period before slaughter. (don't use within 48 days of slaughter)

I recommend you contact your state extension service or at least call a local vet familiar with cattle parasite control before using it. Just because you may not have noticed any grubs, it doesn't mean the larvae aren't present.
To avoid harm to the
treated animal, insecticide application
needs to be made while grubs are still
small and before they reach the gullet or
spinal canal. Heavily infested cattle
treated late in the grubs life cycle may
experience serious side effects. The gullet
may swell, causing bloat or difficulty in
breathing, or grubs may block nerves in
the spinal canal, causing various degrees
of hindquarter paralysis. The best time to
treat cattle summer-grazed in Iowa is