1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. On Jan. 1, 2017, antibiotic use on farms will become more restricted as a result of the Veterinary Feed Directive (VFD). Learn more about calf nutrition supplements and calf health here!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Official BYH Caption Contest - Pic by Sfogg
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Featured Thread: Orphaned Spanish goats
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice
  5. 2017 BYC Calendar SUPER SALE!
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Ivomec injection to use as pour-on for cattle?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Qchickiemama, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Apr 23, 2016
    Qchickiemama

Qchickiemama Chillin' with the herd

x

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  2. Apr 23, 2016
    Latestarter

Latestarter Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry Moderator

Ummmm... :idunno I don't think that's possible... :hu Each is designed and formulated to be used that specific way... wouldn't it be like trying to use a shot of penicillin for example, as a rub on... wouldn't do much good. But, I don't know... Does it say anything on the bottle? Have you gone to the manufacture's web site to see if there's anything there about it? :idunno

3. Apr 23, 2016
    Hens and Roos

Hens and Roos True BYH Addict

what are you planning to use it for? Maybe post a picture of the bottle as others maybe able to help you.

4. Apr 23, 2016
    Southern by choice

Southern by choice Herd Master

They are formulated differently. Buy the pour on if that is what you need.

5. Apr 26, 2016
    greybeard

greybeard True BYH Addict

I think this is a bad idea, on a couple of basic points.
    1. You took what is probably the best and most efficient parasite control (injectable Ivomec) and turned in into what is well known to be the least efficient parasite control. Very little active ingredient of any pour on actually makes it's way into the walls of the digestive tract or blood stream.

2. According to all I have learned over the years, it is a violation to use any drug contrary to the directions on the label, even drugs used on pets and livestock.

3. Info posted here (and elsewhere on the web) stays forever--even if deleted, search engines such as Google caches every page and even a deleted or edited page can be found in it's original form thru any search. We each have a responsibility to make sure what we post is accurate, safe, and efficient for those who come after us and read what we post, especially in the realm of health care.

Had I read this earlier, I would have joined all the others and advised against it.
    But, you already did, so tell us how you did this.
    I would like to know the equation you used to determine how much to use as a pour on as well as what you used as the carrier--the ingredient that allows the Ivomec to stay on the skin for very long and assists in absorption thru the skin, since the two products are completely different and have completely different "other/inert" ingredients.

The injectable usually comes as a 1% solution.
    It lists, as it's ingredients
    1% Ivermectin.
    40% glycerol formal-- solubilizer for water-insoluble compounds for aqueous dilution, and is a chemical and dye emulsifier.
    and propylene glycol,q.s. ad (in quantity sufficient to add up to) 100%.
    1% converts to 10ml/mg

The Ivomec pouron I use for for cattle usually comes as a 5 mg/ml solution.
    This roughly equates to a .5% solution strength for the active ingredient.
    It's 'other' ingredients are not entirely available, as the attraction of a pour on is it's ease of use and in the other ingredients that enable it to easily penetrate. The penetrates are almost always a tightly held proprietary 'trade secret'.
    What we do know is the pour on's ingredients include:
    Ivermectin 0.5%
    A Solvent (chem name and type confidential) <80% (this is the penetrant)
    An Isopropanol,20% (alcohol used as both a disenfectant and to dry moisture from the skin.
    An Antioxidant (chem name and type confidential) < 0.1%

You needed to cut/dilute the 1% inj solution down to .5% usable and safe solution. And you needed to turn the same injectable into a solution that could easily and readily be absorbed thru the skin. I hope you did not use water, or just cut in 1/2 the amount of inj you used as a pour on.
    Details please.

Southern by choice likes this.