Jack and the farrier

MaestroMamma

Just born
Reaction score
Hello all I need some advice....

I have a 5yo jack named tumbles. He is very good with letting my husband and I work with his feet as far as cleaning them out and checking them. When it comes to the farrier he runs and kicks and is very difficult. Farrier previously recommended getting quietex to help calm him down. We did this the last time he came out and it had no effect on him what so ever maybe even made him worse. I was at the local rural king today looking for something as the farrier is coming back on Monday... I saw they have show cattle calm and is labeled only for cattle but would it be OK for a donkey? Looks like the ingredients are pretty much the same... or what can I do to help the visit go much smoother than previous.... I'm open to any and input

Thanks!

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Try a different farrier? Sorry am not much helpbut if he allows you and you husband to handle his feet seems a good farrier could go slowly and earn his trust also. As you probably know Jacks need to trust their handlers, well any mule or donkey.

MaestroMamma

Just born
Reaction score
If I could find another farrier in the area that would be a great idea lol... I trust the one we have and he's been great with the other donkey we had but unfortunately they are few and far between out my way I can't seem to find another within a reasonable distance ... thanks for the thought tho

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings @MaestroMamma from the front range in Colorado :frow Glad you joined us! @Baymule might have an idea... I'm afraid I have no idea how to help. I hope you and the farrier can get something to work though.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had a jack that was pretty wild. It was a knock-down-drag-out FIGHT to trim his hooves and they were terrible because of a previous owner's neglect. He blew up one day, I think he kicked in all 4 directions with all 4 hooves all at the same time. He turned into a whirling dervish, spinning in circles. My hand got caught in the halter and I thought I was flying. I did fly-right into a crumpled heap when my hand finally came loose. He landed several kicks on the farrier and one hoof whizzed right past his head, grazing his ear. That was our starting point. :thumbsup A previous farrier drugged him and it did not help at all. I got a new farrier.

The new farrier, Mike, was patient. After the donkey tornado that whupped both of us, and he didn't shoot the jack, I was impressed. My jack loved bread. He would come take it out of my hand, stretching his neck out as far as he could reach, then he'd run off to eat it. I gave Mike bread to feed the donkey. Donkeys are so incredibly smart, he finally figured out that Mike was not going to hurt him. He also figured out that if he just cooperated, it was over faster. I could walk him around his pen, trying to catch him, but when he saw Mike, he stopped and let me halter him. Darn donkey was smart!

So.....what is your donkey's favorite treat? Has the farrier bribed him with treats? What about apple flavored horse cookies? Or oreo cookies? Or hot dog buns from the dollar day old bread store? Where I am going with this is find a treat that he will beg for and reserve it only for the farrier. Keep a bag of treats for the farrier to give him. I find a treat, a good scratch in his favorite itchy spot and soft kind words from your farrier work better than drugs. Especially since donkeys assimilate drugs differently from horses, so they don't work as well. Talk to your farrier and see if he will try this approach.

Stay away from the drugs. Gain his trust and it will be fairly easy after that. Pack the farrier's pockets with horse cookies....

MaestroMamma

Just born
Reaction score
I will definitely have to try that we usually at least put his hay down but never thought of using special treats just for when the farrier is here... I will give it a shot on Monday! Thanks! I'll update on how it goes even tho it will probably take a few visits for tumbles to get the point...

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Donkeys are brilliant smart. You can see their brains working. They think their way through situations. A farrier that brings treats? Maybe on Monday your farrier can just give him treats and pick up his feet slowly, and not trim them this time. Just make friends.

GLENMAR

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I recommend Dormosedan Gel. There is nothing wrong with a little chemical help. It's not worth getting hurt over. We used this with my mini donkey. After a few months, he learned to stand without it.

Latest posts