Jack suddenly agressive!

Dalyo96

Just born
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new on here looking for advice, I have two jack donkeys who will be getting gelded in the next few weeks who I found abandoned last year (common where I'm from) they are roughy two years old, they have always got along fine but for the past year but last night one of them suddenly got very agressive tweeds the other one chasing him and biting him, I got up this morning and the one being attacked hardly had the energy to stand so I've split them up because I'm unsure what else to do. Why would one donkey suddenly get so agressive and wild? They have been apart all day and the agressive one keep walking along the fence and making vocalisations while the victim has just been eating and sleeping as normal not agressive at all. When the get gelded might they be able to be together again? I don't have enough room to keep them apart for good

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Testosterone finally kicked in. Gelding will definitely help, just know that donkeys can keep live sperm for up to 3 months after gelding. Here's a good site for you;

www.lovelongears.com

Reactions: TAH

Dalyo96

Just born
Reaction score
Do you think I'll have to keep them apart until they are gelded? I'm more experienced in dealing with cattle then donkeys, in from Ireland and not many people really know that much about donkeys mostly about horses. When they are gelded how will I go about letting them back in together?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Give them a little time after gelding. Then halter and tie the aggressive one, halter and walk the other one around to see the aggressive's one reaction. Do this several times. If they are penned next to each other, you will be able to see the aggressive one getting less aggressive. Then you will just have to try them together. I would suggest leaving a halter and trailing rope on the aggressive one when you put them back together so you can grab it and pull him away if needed. Do this when you have help and don't leave the halter/rope on without your supervision.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings @Dalyo96 from the front range in Colorado. Welcome to BYH. Sorry you're having issues with your donkeys. Hope you can get them gelded and sorted out.

Dalyo96

Just born
Reaction score
Thy are both sitting down opposite sides of the gate today quite relaxed so I think keeping them apart is a good plan for now, thanks for the advice :) if I've any more problems I'll let you know, I'm quite new to equine donkeys in paticular so he help is great:)

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Good luck with your donkeys, they are really brilliant animals. Present them with something new in small increments. Give them time to think about it and don't rush them. They have the reputation of being stubborn when really they just don't want to do something they don't understand. We would love to see pics of your donkeys!

Dalyo96

Just born
Reaction score
Il have to get a better picture sometime lol, I have them together for a couple minutes while I'm outside, both nipping each other a little and mounting but not the one that was aggressive Isent chasing around after the other. I'll separate them for the night when I can't watch them

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 180

Dalyo96

Just born
Reaction score
This is the less aggressive but more jumpy one

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 179