Jacob Sheep-6 month update on our sheepies!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am really liking them! I wish rams weren't so nasty.. that's where I have to say bucks are great! I would love to go back and get #78 he is a looker! But alas, no rams.

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
To avoid anymore ram problems...we've decided to buy a December born ram lamb once weaned each year...then it is old enough to breed in fall...and then in early winter before the ramming starts, will either sell it or off to freezer camp. We agreed to never name him...of course if we get a ram that stays a lovely boy, all bets are off!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
So do you all like or hate my name?

Bon that would have to really stink! I guess if you don't love it to death and keep yourself detached it won't be so bad.

marlowmanor

Reaction score
Your name is different. I think the neighbors would think I was crazy if I was hollering for "say" though! :lol: If he will answer to it and you like it I say go for it. :thumbsup It is your sheep afterall! I think Tiny Tim is cute though too.

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
I though about naming my buck Tayish masri-aCH which is Hebrew for a stinky male goat. lol I love the Hebrew language and was trying to learn for awhile.

Roving Jacobs

Seeing Spots
Reaction score
Southern by choice said:
I am really liking them! I wish rams weren't so nasty.. that's where I have to say bucks are great! I would love to go back and get #78 he is a looker! But alas, no rams.
I'm the opposite. The one buck goat I had was downright dangerous but I have 3 rams and have never had any problems with them. I halter break them when I first get them and don't coddle them and they're all very respectful. I don't think Jacob breeders in particular put up with nasty rams so most of the breeders I've talked to have never had a serious problem with their rams.

Mine all know the sound of my door and my loudmouth head ewe will start hollering at me as soon as she hears it in the hopes that I'll come bring her some grain. The woman I bought her from says her farm is so much quieter now:lol:

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well the two are soo cute! Now when we go in with them they come right up and eat out of our hand.
Gwen paws at us, softly, and she kind of kisses...weird. She will nibble on our clothes..just like my Lamancha :rolleyes:
Lil'sey is curious too and yes he also nibbles. They like to sniff our shoes and coats. They always watch the door, and if they are behind the shelter and we can't see them we say, "where are my lil babies? hey pretty babies" they will immediately come around and walk up to the fence! SWEET!

My DS and Straw weighed them for us today...DD and I didn't want to upset the progress with them.

They weighed:

Gwen:46.2
Lil'sey: 31.6

I swear they have already gained a pound each at least..they love our hay and alfalfa and feed! They are cute as can be when they chew their cud in unison. :lol: Gwen talks to us now... she sounds like such a man. It's a deep bah. Not high pitched like a goat.

Coco- Straws brat is so ignorant, she keeps trying to bully and butt them through the fence...they pay her no mind. I love cokie but she is so mean sometimes.

I think I just may be a bit smitten! ;)

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ah yes...thought you would be smitten before too long :love

I know each sheep's baaaa...they are all different. Our ewe Jess has a low baaa too...funny, our ram Watson had a much softer baaa...not very manly, but he was quite the stud...LOLOL

I still miss the barren ewe Suzie, and really miss her funny antics...she had a nice baaaa to start with...then if I was taking too long bringing the feed...her baa was close to a high pitch hysteria...awwww...still regret not keeping her. She thought she was still tiny, even at full grown and I had to watch to not let her hop in my lap when I was sitting out there on a lawn chair...she'd knock us both and the chair over. She also liked to untie my shoe laces...actually...lambs all do that too...they are curious little critters.

So glad you are enjoying them :love