Jacob Sheep-6 month update on our sheepies!

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
LOL Southern...when we were deciding on goats or sheep...and had never had either...I have to admit we felt happier with sheep and their references in the Bible. Not saying goats are evil, but for us sheep were the way to go, and we've never regretted it :)

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
:lol: You all are bad. Look at you trying to turn me. I am already addicted to goats, LGDs (I want two more), and all things poultry. This one was not a Jacobs...not sure what kind (black muzzle, tall, white fur).

CocoNUT

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
*enabler on*
Oh PEARCE - go for it! If for no other reason than it'll be tastey later! But they are SOOOO darned cute...SO cute! I DO like my goats for personality though...but I'd DIE with "BORING" critters! I don't do "drama" in my life...that's what the dog, cats, goats, sheep, hubby, Evil are for!
Snuggles and Baby are SOOOOO sweet! (Baby does sound like an 80 year-old smoker sheep though...)
GO FOR IT! Do it as a 4H project.....
DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! :clap

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
it has been almost 6 months since we got our two sheep.

We did fecals before they came onto our farm... not many worm eggs but we decided to de-worm them while they were in their 30 day quarantine to prevent any superworms.

Lil Seh and Gwen were both slightly under conditioned.

They have really gained weight are in great condition and we were doing updates on health etc and running fecals. We finally got our McMasters Slides and so this way we can get an actual EPG count....

June 8th-

Lil Seh- 1 egg no adjustment for EPG as number was so low
Gwen- 1 egg no adjustment for EPG as number was so low

:celebrate

Very happy with the results obviously, and they are certainly mowing machines. We have mostly Bermuda grass where they are and Bermuda will only get 3 inches tall at its tallest before going to seed... they keep it groomed.. the great thing about Bermuda is they cannot kill it... it grows more and more the lower it is cut... or nibbled in our case.

I was worried as that is the height at which re-infection of parasites thrive. They only climb to 2 1/2 inches. So this was really good to see how well they are doing.

Just thought I would share. BTW- they are with goats. Recently we moved our goats to a new field, Gwenn was ramming my pregnant does. :/ My goats also had excellent results! :)

n8ivetxn

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I want Jacobs too!

Don't worry too much about the ram, just remember not to turn your back. Just in case......

My rams don't give me much trouble, but I keep an eye on them, like Roving said - for safety. I believe there is a heritability issue where aggression is concerned - either a ram is, or he isn't. Like my roosters...:rolleyes: